Sickening sweet smell in basement. Dead mouse????

Hello,

I just moved into an old house (build in the 1920s) with a finished basement (finished about 10 years ago).

About a month ago we noticed a sickly sweet smell around the back wall. It doesn't smell musty, but it is quite strange and we don't like it. It seems to almost go away and then come back stronger sometimes.

The former owner had some mouse poison out so my theory is that one or more mice might have died in the wall and are causing the funk.

My problem is that I don't know what a dead mouse smells like, so I'm not sure if that is it. It's hard to describe the smell but there is definitely a "sweetness" to it, but not a "mmm someone's making pie" kind of sweet, but one that is somehow unpleasant.

My 2 questions:

1) Is this a dead animal in my wall perhaps?

2) Anyone have any idea how long it will last?

It's driving me nuts so I'm thinking about busting holes in the drywall this weekend.

Thanks!

Reply to
Dirk Puslich

Rotting meat does *NOT* smell sweet. You've never smelled same?

--=20 dadiOH _____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

I would hold off on busting any holes.

Smells like that are hard to pinpoint. Sometimes sewer gas odors give a sickly sweet or sweet/sour smell (at least to my nose). That particular odor seems to be less likely on septic systems.

Also, sewer gas odors may come and go depending on wind conditions which affect the air pressures in the stack.

Have you looked for any floor drains with dried out traps? Floor drains need to be refilled with water every few months.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I once had a mouse expire directly under my built in dishwasher. By the time I figured out where that smell was coming from and removed the kick panel he was fuzzy, mold-covered, pool of slime.

Sweet-smelling? Hoo-ha! NO WAY!

I reckon it's something else, Dirk.

--John W. Wells

Reply to
John W. Wells

Oddly enought, bedbug infestations are said to have that odor. Do a Google search for articles relating to this. Other bugs might also do similar. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Someone also suggested that it could be mouse urine, possibly in the insulation. Does anyone know what mouse pee smells like? One poster on another board said it has a "sweet" odor to it.

Reply to
Dirk Puslich

Probably not unless the mice are diabetic. Mouse pee smells pretty much like any other kind of pee.

Reply to
Doug Miller

It could be stashed food, or rotting cellulose insulation, or some peculiar type of mold, too.

Looks like it's time for someone to invent an electronic stench identifier.. Either that, or a scratch&sniff sampler of common offenders....

--Goedjn

Reply to
default

lol oh my...thats an idea.

Wonder if there are strange knockings and noises....kinda like the Amityville Horror that was a sickly sweet smell IIRC. :-O Linda

Reply to
Linda

-snip-

Voila!

and

My LP gas company set me a sample of the additive they were using in my gas. That was fun. . . 'Honey-- what do you think of this perfume?'

If this new homeowner has any gas coming into his house-- either LP or natural- and is not familiar with the smell, he should ask his utility for a sample. Gas is not to be trifled with. i wouldn't call it a sweet smell, but there have been several other odors mentioned in this thread that were described as sweet that I wouldn't call sweet either.]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I finally found the words to describe the smell:

"Musky honey"

Whatever it is if it's not gone in 10 days the drywall is getting busted...

Reply to
Dirk Puslich

Whoa! Where's your libido, man?! I think Frederick's Of Hollywood sells that scent--don't touch that wall!

--JWW

Reply to
John W. Wells

Maybe it is the mouse poison? Or an aromatic hydrocarbon based insecticide, like Lindane?

Wait! I've got it! Thousands of Asian ladybugs or boxelder bugs inside the wall.

As someone else already said, the smell you're describing is the characteristic smell of bedbugs.

I'm glad it's your house and not mine, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Before cutting into dry wall I'd get a good exterminator (one who deals with more than just insects) to come in and offer an opinion. It will cost much less and certainly be less aggravation than re-doing your walls.

RB

Dirk Puslich wrote:

Reply to
RB

What are the possibilities of an old food spill? [a dropping barometer, change in wind direction or dampness would make it more noticeable at times]

Exploded root beer, beer, or wine bottles?

Or bees in the wall?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Yes I know exactly what you are talking about. We just started renting a house, and had someone come and set some traps all around. We went away for a week, and came back to the same smell in the basement. Sometimes stronger than others. At first I thought it was the garbage but after we took it out the smeller lingered days later. Today I had the man come back and there were mice caught EVERYWHERE. He plugged a hole in the outer wall so hopefull that will help, but please don't let people tell you its not a mouse because it probably is.

Reply to
jason

I had a nasty smell in my storage shed. I don't know if I'd call it "sweet" but it sure was unpleasant. Luckily it was easy for me to find the cause.

I started to empty the shed looking for something dead and one of the first things I picked up was a crumbled up lawn & leaf bag that was crammed into a corner. As soon as I picked it up I realized that it seemed heavier than it should be. The human mind it funny like that. How much does a dead mouse weigh...not much, right? Yet as soon as I picked up the plastic bag, I knew it didn't feel right. I unfolded it and a dead mouse fell out. I tossed it in the woods, left the shed doors opened for about 24 hours and the smell was gone.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You are correct.

You are incorrect. They will leave a stink, even when they drown in a tub of used motor oil and sink to the bottom! Ask me how I know!

Reply to
M.A. Stewart

You expect a stalking lefty to tell the truth?

We had a Mickey die in a sink overflow, years ago. It stunk up the entire house. It took a few bottles of acid and some clever funnels to get the thing out of there.

Reply to
krw