Mouse smell in vehicle

I am wondering how to remove mouse smell from a vehicle that was stored outside. The mice seem to have made a home in it. The mice are all out of the vehicle now (my husband dispatched 4 or 5 of the little guys...much to my dismay...I liked the whole catch and release idea...he said..."I don't think so"). So, now the problem. This vehicle smells so badly, one can hardly stand to get in it. Mouse odor...is lingering and sticks to one's clothing when exiting this vehicle.

What can I do? I've tried Febreeze. I've tried perfumes and colognes. I've tried NeutraAir. Nothing removes the stench. It is worse with the heaters on. Shampoo carpet?

Any ideas are welcome.

How to get the smell out of the vents?

We have aired this vehicle out for days. That has helped the most so far.

Will wait to hear a response. I hope someone has some help for this problem! Thanks in advance!

Reply to
PreciousKittyKat

correct me if i'm wrong, but it sounds a bit like there's still a dead mouse or two in there... (did he poison them? if he poisoned them, i could virtually guarantee they've died in there ;-)

on the bright side, the smell of decomposing rodent usually only lasts a month or two, fearsome though it is while it lasts.

if they were trapped & killed & there are definitely NO mice in there, i imagine the smell will ultimately dissipate in good time - whether you do anything or not. cars really magnify bad smells, & beyond airing (in the shade would be better), there's nothing to be done about smells in locations you can't get to. have patience :-) kylie

Reply to
0tterbot

There may be a nest in your vent system. This can be a lot of work to dismantle dash, panels, etc., but if you want a clean vehicle that's what you need to do, or pay someone to do it. You may have some holes in your vehicle that needs repair/patching too.

Some years ago a forgotten stick of butter melted into the back seat of my car and it was being stored somewhere in southern Nevada. I could not get rid of the awful odor with typical treatments (Fabreze, vinegar, open windows in the sun, burning incense sticks, etc), so I removed seats and carpeting. The carpeting was ruined and had to be replaced. After all the work, I had a clean-smelling car.

Reply to
Phisherman

Pour a gallon or two of gasoline in or near the location of the mouse nest. Be sure it's well saturated. Let the gas soak in for 5 minutes. Pour another gallon of gas in the same place. Then immediately take a lit match and toss it into the gasoline. Run like hell. In less than one hour the mouse odor will be gone forever.

Reply to
google