mystery smell in basement

How long have you lived there? It could be a dead body.

Reply to
HitmanChuck

There is a musty smell coming from the basement closet, but there is no sign of damp, nothing stained on the drywall or carpeting, no visibile moisture.

Although we did put a paper poster in there and a week later it was soggy and ruined. But no visible water anywhere.

The smell is quite strong. We thought we got rid of it by rubbing the carpeting with baking soda and vacumming an hour later, but the next day the smell was back.

Could it be just humidity in the basement? And would the humidity be more likely to accumulate in the closet?

Should we tear up the carpet in the closet and see if there is a crack in the concrete underneath?

If there is should we just apply seal it with something?

There is no smell anywhere else. Just the closet.

Reply to
coconino

Yes, its probably coming thru the foundation or seam where the floor/foundation join. It important you find and stop the water at the source. There's a good chance its damaging your wall/ framing from the backside.

Rudy

I agree. I'd get some explosives and blow up the closet. It's very likely there was a gay guy living in that closet for many years and he used to do all sorts of things that gay guys do (details can not be posted to a public forum). After demolition, be sure to remove all debris and sterilize the floor with bleach mixed with Ben Gay.

Just remember, Ben Gay is much better than Still Gay.

Reply to
homophobic28