Steel shed ventilation

We have a sheet steel garden shed, and with any sun at all it gets unbearably hot inside.

We put up polystryene slabs under the roof, but that was to stop the condensation dripping down inside in the winter. It does not help with the problem of the shed getting too hot.

Grateful for any suggestions as to best how to keep it cooler in this warm weather, please.

Trying to cut out holes in that tin sheeting would I guess be a difficult task, and I've no idea if it would be of much help? Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
john brook

There is a limit to what you can do in a small space without any airflow. Paradoxically your best bet might be to glue aluminium foil onto the underside of the polystyrene slab. This slows down ingress of solar heat by making it harder for the polystyrene to radiate energy.

The other trick is to make the exterior partially or entirely self shading by having a second outer skin on battens. Ivy works pretty well as it includes its own airconditioning and looks better than sheet steel.

Letting the hottest air out the top and allowing cooler air in at ground level will help a bit. You want a vent that lets hot air out but doesn't allow rain to get in.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Painting it white could be a good move, as could putting a secondary roof above the first with an air gap between them. Also, maybe a small solar powered fan in a window or door might help.

All of these work quite well on Land Rovers.

Reply to
John Williamson

Solar panel & 12V computer fan. A bit of battery helps (and a diode in series with the solar panel), but you don't need smarts

Reply to
Andy Dingley

If you're working in or around it, leave the door open. If you're not in the shed , does it matter how hot it is inside? Janet

Reply to
Janet

It doesn't do paints or garden pesticides much good to be excessively hot or in strong sunlight. Oxidation and loss of solvent can occur.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

Ridge vents and screened opening in the base.

Reply to
clare

I would have thought a metal shed too cold in winter, to store paints there? and lacking strong sunlight :-)

Janet

Reply to
Janet

Maybe this sort of thing, couple near the roof line, a couple near the floor .. ebay number 310329876456

Or a length of 130534194440 under the eaves etc

or a shed-load of drilled holes .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Can you build a little cupola in the roof and add an attic fan?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

What about the obvious - a turbine / roof ventilator? The hot air is enough to keep them moving when the wind is calm. It should be possible to seal it off from inside the shack during the winter to trap any heat indoors.

Good Luck.

Reply to
Baron