starting a cut in the middle with a sabre saw?

starting a cut in the middle with a sabre saw?

Do people really do "plunge cuts" with sabre saws. That is, start holes int he middle of plywood, or fibreboard?

Or do they just drill a hole first.

Reply to
micky

Yes...if it's Styrofoam!

Reply to
bob_villa

Both, depending on the project. Sometimes you need both peices, and you DON'T want a round hole in either of them. Then you cannot use a drilled starter hole.

Reply to
clare

I've done both. The plunge cut kicks the saw back at me many times, before the cut is established. I try to use slow speed, and hold the saw so the tip tooth drags across the wood surface.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've done both. With a good saw and the right blade it is not difficult.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Sure. A steady hand and light touch helps.

Reply to
rbowman

Depending on the project, I might start my cut with this and then move on to the sabre saw:

Depending on the thickness of the sabre saw blade, you may still need to do a plunge cut, but you'll have a guide as well as less material to plunge through.

Reply to
DerbyDad03