sprinkler coming on at the wrong time?

I have my sprinkler system set to run from 9PM to 11PM (no other time). The control box is NOT set to come on at any other time.

Today a neighbor told me it's been coming on during the night (3 or 5 AM).

Any ideas on what I could check?

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Does it also come on at the scheduled time? If not, the clock's off.

Reply to
Goedjn

Your neighbor's wristwatch?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Sorry, that part was a victim of overediting. YES it does come on at the scheduled time.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Is that when your water softener starts a backwash cycle?

Reply to
Goedjn

Mark,

I'd start by sitting up one night and checking whether the sprinklers come on. So far you have nothing to go on.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

No. There is no other device in this house that would be changing it's use of water at that time.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I'm considering connecting an electronic buzzer on a long pair of wires (I already have the wires) connected to the "master valve" output (not otherwise used) of the sprinkler controller. This would be an alarm that would sound it the controller became active during the night.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

How about turning the main valve off so it can't water and asking the neighbor if it is anyway?

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

4-6 am would be a better time.

Verify with your buzzer idea. If so, the controller is broken. Replace it.

Reply to
Rich Greenberg

Controllers fail. I had one that did this. Do check that you don't have a second "program" active.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Already done that last thing. The controller (Hunter SRC) has 3 programs (called A, B C) each of which has 4 places to set start times. Only A1 has a setting other than "off' (9PM).

I have seen such a device with a clock that was exactly 100% fast. That is, it could say 9PM at 9PM but also at 9AM (9AM would show at

3AM and 3PM). However, this does not fit the symptoms (it waters for the normal amount of time not the 50% you'd get with a fast clock, and it's correct at multiple times of day).

It may still be a controller that needs replacing. I suppose it's not too hard to get a new one that works (the valves need 24VAC, I think the current is around 250mA).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I just posted in another thread how smart my mother was, but there was one time she wasn't so smart. We had a self defrosting refrigerator, bought around 1953. She was supposed to set the clock for the current time, but she thought she was supposed to set it for the time she wanted it to defrost. So if it was noon and she set the clock to

2AM, the fridge thougght it was 2AM then and it defrosted an hour later, 1PM, which it thought was 3AM. If she set it to 2AM at 6PM, it thought it it was 2AM then and it deforsted an hour later, at 7PM, which it thought was 3AM. My mother didn't pay attention to when she set it, only that it defrosted during the day instead of 2AM like she wanted it to. So she never figured it out until I read the instructions.
Reply to
mm

If you can't stay up that late, sleep in the yard. The sprinklers will wake you.

Reply to
mm

Early morning is better for the grass. Have you tried taking out the battery, shutting off the breaker and resetting the time?

Reply to
Norminn

My grandmother thought that when you set the alarm on a digital clock, that messed up the current time setting (because the display changed).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

You left out the explanation, and the alternative.

Nothing's perfect. Evening watering gives the water more time to soak in before it evaporates in the sun (it's been really sunny here lately).

Apparently my system is NOT coming on. A neighbor's (on the other side) IS. I haven't talked to the one who complained yet, maybe she got confused by the runoff (the other neighbor's runoff passes in front of my house because it's on a hill).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

It is set to use military time vs normal 12 hour clock?

Oren

Oren

Wouldn't it be wunnerful if all things got solved as easily as that?

Nonetheless, you showed good technical thinking when you pondered putting a audible alarm on the control system's output to rouse you if it came on in the wee hours.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

No. I would actually prefer "military time", but have it set to AM/PM for consistency with other clocks.

(missing sig separator?)

Reply to
Mark Lloyd