Spray container problems

I often have this problem - with some weed killer yesterday.
Have a container of liquid with a trigger you keep pulling to spray the contents.
On my experience. If it works at all it works for a while, then the trigger has no effect. If you keep tryong eventually it may start working again. Then the process repeats.
Is there a trick to getting these to work as one would assume, or is it just me and my product choices? Getting so I'm considering trying to only buy gas powered sprays with the button on the top or not at all.
TIA

On 4/13/2017 9:24 AM, KenK wrote:

do you mean it fails while you are using it? Or you put it away for a few days and fails?
If the latter, it may have lost its prime. You might try: squeezing the trigger and holding it squeezed, put your finger over the spray tip to block it, releasing the trigger. this will create a vacuum and cause it to prime. At least that has worked for me in the past.

The former.

I suspect that might also work when you're using it. I'd try it but the bottle of weed killer is now empty and in the trash. I'm getting a new bottle Saturday and will likly use it Monday. Of it fails as usual I'll try your suggestion then.

On Thursday, April 13, 2017 at 12:24:18 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:

Be certain the hose is in the liquid and not in too far where it curls back up from the bottom into the air on top. If it is not a clear container I can see that being a possibility.

This is a common problem with trigger sprayers. When working correctly the pistons return spring will reload the piston cavity with a new volume of fluid. If the chemical is not slippery enough the spring will not have enough force to reload the piston quickly. If you waited long enough between trigger pulls the piston will return, but who wants to wait. These pumps work well with water, but other chemicals not so much.

Take it back and get a new bottle. One poster suggested you put your finger over the nozzle. I wouldn't do that as you might get a micro injection err micro aggression. Don't lick your finger...