Some Charmin TP Rolls are Oversize Now?

Anyone else gotten frustrated by this Johnson and Johnson stunt?

Over a month ago I picked up my usual thrice a year purchase of several packages each of Charmin toilet paper and Bounty paper towels and stuck them in our home storage room.

I opened the first package of that Charmin toilet tissue about five weeks ago and was shocked, shocked to realize it was larger in diameter than any roll I'd encountered before and would not fit into any of the the four roll holders in our 33 year old home. I hadn't thought to check carefully at the store, the packages seemed enough like what I was used to buying that I just grabbed them off the shelf.

I looked on the back of the plastic packaging holding the remainder of the rolls and saw that Charmin knew those rolls wouldn't fit in some roll holders because they offered free plastic "extenders" which snapped onto the "arms" of roll holders so the spring loaded "axle" would be further away from the back of the holder.

I immediately went to the Charmin website and entered my address information, checking off that I wanted three sets of extenders. Three weeks later nothing had arrived so I called them up and told them I hadn't received anything and was told that there was such a surge of requests for those extenders that they had run out quickly and were still waiting for more to come in from the manufacturer.

So, I've taken to the PIA chore of unwinding and wrapping enough TP from a new one of those large rolls onto the cardboard core of an empty roll so that both could fit into our home's roll holders.

Why did Charmin decide to do such a shitty thing? Did home TP roll holders increase in size sometime during my lifetime leading up to that problem?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

On Wed, 8 Aug 2018 13:53:23 -0400, Jeff Wisnia wrote in

This is a good solution.

Reply to
CRNG

Yah, that bit me on the ass too.  Apparently toilet paper comes in Mega and Super Mega size rolls now. Sounds like you got the Super Jumbo Mega 747 sized rolls.

Reply to
Bob Butz

Things like this can annoy. I remember how ticked I was when they started making toothbrushes with bigger handles that would not fit in the bathroom holder. You would think companies would be aware of such things.

Reply to
Frank

Life's a bitch,,,and then you die ;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

No. I don't buy Charmin, but the Northern package says MEGA 12 rolls = 48 regular rolls

I've been buying those since we remodeled our bathroom, removed the

70-year-old ceramic TP holder set into the tile wainscot, and replaced it with this:

Prior to that, I bought the "double" rolls. They fit pretty well in the old dispenser.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelicapaganelli

Or you could just set it on the counter top until enough is used to fit it in the holder. Works for me.

Reply to
slate_leeper

On Thu, 09 Aug 2018 07:58:11 -0400, slate_leeper wrote in

+1
Reply to
CRNG

This whole rant sounds like white people problems to me anyway. I have not had a problem with the megarolls. I appreciate them putting more on the roll. This is really just so they could try to keep up with the sheet count of the cheaper brands anyway. These soft papers are thicker than the "news print" brands so the cheap guys can also brag about more sheets per roll. The Charmin "mega roll" is 362 sheets. The 1 ply Scotts is 1000.

Reply to
gfretwell

When we remodeled our bathrooms my wife thought those ceramic holders looked to "Leave it to Beaver" for her and she bought floor standing holders. We have large format tile and the ceramic holders are made for that tacky 4x4 stuff. The holders we have hold the big roll.

Reply to
gfretwell

Jeff Wisnia posted for all of us...

No shit?

Reply to
Tekkie®

I've stopped saying "I've gotta take a shit" and started saying "I've gotta leave a shit". (Same thing with piss.)

Makes more sense doesn't it?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Jeff Wisnia posted for all of us...

Yup, we have been married so long that my wife & I don't even discuss it. The battle of the diuretics and fiber dominates.

Reply to
Tekkie®