Soldering directly to button battery

I'm replacing a small button battery (CR 2032) with two AAA batteries, I'm intending to leave the old discharged button battery in its place and solder the leads from the AAA batteries directly on to the button battery.

Is the heat that I would need to apply to the button battery with the soldering iron to solder to it, likely to make the battery prone to 'leakage' in the future? Or perhaps cause it to go bang at the time of soldering? Thanks for advice.

Reply to
john hamilton

Why can't you just replace the 2032?

Reply to
brass monkey

Or simulate one with 2 bits of tin-can and solder to those.

Reply to
brass monkey

Put the battery in the freezer, and solder quickly. heat does shorten their life.

Reply to
ransley

"john hamilton" wrote in news:i504ql$77j$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

I think you'll find that the discharged button cell will suck the new AAA's dry.

Also, the CR2032 is 3.6V. Three AAA's are 4.8V. I wonder what the voltage jump would do to your equipment.

Properly applied, the heat should do no damage. Some motherboard batteries used to be directly soldered-in.

A better approach, if you want a hard-wired battery receptacle, would be to unsolder the CR2032's battery-holder from the PCB, then solder the leads of your newly-purchased AAA battery-holder to the CR's holes PCB.

Reply to
Tegger

Correction: The button batteries had flat leads WELDED onto them which were then soldered to the motherboard. It's really kind of difficult to solder effectively to stainless steel. Direct connections to batteries are spot welded.

Reply to
salty

Not a good idea to leave any flat battery in place. Just about any type can leak. Also, it may try and re-charge off the new ones so drawing more current than necessary.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Out of curiosity why not just replace the CR2032?

Reply to
George

There are warnings about charging lithiums and having them explode. I have never heard of it happening and have seen applications where they were being charged and nothing happened. (they must be very toxic-you need a label when shipping them)

Reply to
Bob Villa

battery (CR 2032) with two AAA batteries, I'm

I did this with a small clock mechanism. The button batteries were going out too fast. I just soldered to the original tabs though.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

I've soldered to batteries many times. Heat a spot on the battery, leaeve a blob of solder. Tin the wire with solder. Reheat blob on battery, stick wire in blob, remove iron, hold very still while it cools.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Best approach is to replace the button cell. It'll most likely have the same or longer life anyway as it is pretty much just the shelf life that matters.

Those batteries typically last 5 years. 5 years from now the motherboard is going to be so obsolete, that once more replacement is all it might ever possibly need.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

ote:

I missed that it was on a motherboard? I figured it was something else that was using it up at a faster rate.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

And obsolescence is one of those very vague things; we have no way of knowing if the thing will be of no use to the OP in five years, and if it is then maybe it does make sense to fit a battery holder.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Yes, they can go bang when soldering if you apply too much heat for too long. Applying power to one probably isn't a good idea, either (you'd basically be trying to recharge an no-rechargeable cell - I doubt it'd outright explode or catch fire, but it might leak, and ever the vapours from batteries can make a real mess of PCB traces).

Personally I'd desolder it - preferably cutting it from the PCB first and then desoldering the legs that remain. What the device is would dictate whether I'd fit a direct replacement, or a socket, or trailing wires to a socket, or trailing wires to a holder to take AAAs etc.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Still run a pentium 2 from 1997? That's just two batteries ago.

Also: current draw is so low that it is self discharging that is the primary concern. A AA battery isn't going to last any more than the button cell.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Oh I have. Lots :-)

and have seen applications where they

They are not toxic, but they can pop nicely and start decent fires when shorted.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Actually, it will only last a fraction of the time the lithium coin battery lasted.

Reply to
salty

Li polymer batteries are worse, but you can find exploding button cells on Youtube if you look:

the comments, someone said they had one explode whilst soldering it.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

don't do it. make a dummy battery. A disk of double sided ecb material will work. solder to the copper, shim for thickness. Don't have a disk? use a nickel and a dime with insulation between. Depending on the socket, you may have to build up the diameter a little with solder.

Reply to
mike