Painting-Cutting in a ceiling

Has anyone used a pad type paint edger to cut in a ceiling ? Does it work or just put paint on the ceiling while edging the walls ?

Reply to
desgnr

If you're talking about the kind with rollers, it works and works well.

Had there been such a device when I was younger, I would have become a painter instead of going to law school.

Reply to
HeyBub

I've never had any luck with those gimmick edgers. A good purdy brush and practice is really the only way to go.

Reply to
Steve Barker

And he doesn't mean a 'purdy good' brush. I have a 2" angled sash brush that I've been cutting windows, trim, ceilings, etc in for

25+ years. I nearly killed a guy once who thought he was showing me how to 'clean it better' and bent a few bristles.

I think I paid $25 for mine-- I see the borgs carry them for 1/2 that today.

My eyes are bad & my hand isn't as steady as it was when I bought that brush-- but I can cut a pretty good edge-- and if I waver, I wait til it is dry and try again on the other side.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

How do you clean it if you don't bend bristles?

Reply to
norminn

Hehe-- ok, I bend them-- I don't break them.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I bend mine a lot to get all the paint out of the ferrule that I can. Always wash, rinse with hot water to shape bristles and dry while brush in hanging up.

Reply to
norminn

Tricks about the rollers: Don't over-load paint on the pad. If the rollers get paint on them, use a damp painter's cloth to wipe them off. Check the rollers each time for paint, before applying the pad to the wall.

Near identical comment from a friend, except he is not a lawyer.

Reply to
Oren

re: "...and dry while brush is hanging up..."

...and in the original cardboard wrapper.

That really keeps the brush in pristine "shape".

I have a set of Purdy (and similar quality) brushes that no one but me gets to use and I have a set of cheaper brushes for the wife and offspring.

If they don't know how to clean a brush after using it, then they'll just have to live with the crappy paint job they'll get from the cheaper brushes.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

If they don't know how to clean a brush after using it, then they'll just have to live with the crappy paint job they'll get from the cheaper brushes.

-----------

Amen!

Almost got a divorce the day I came home and found one of my good brushes laying on the rim of a primer bucket.

That act has never been repeated. It was sorta quiet around the house for several day. :)

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Paint the ceiling first and get some right into the corner where it meets the wall.

Now when you do the wall, take a good 2" sash brush and cut in the ceiling. Put paint on the brush. Put the brush against the wall just below the ceiling edge. Now you draw the brush across and up to the edge making a line about 12" to 15" long. Repeat across the ceiling perimeter.

Once you've done it a few times, it is easy and fast. The slight imperfections you may see close up will be invisible from the floor.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski