Snowblower recommendation for Toronto

Hi,

I live in Canada, Toronto and this year I decided to take care of snow in driveway myself, instead of hiring company to do that. My driveway is 2 cars wide and about 3 cars in length. Would you recommend electric snowblower for such driveway? I have power outlet nearby, just not sure if it will have enough Amp for snowblower. Or should I consider looking into gas powered snowblowers? Then, one stage or 2 stage? I'll be cleaning just one driveway, I do not want to buy bigger than I need equipment.

Thanks

Reply to
SnowBlower

I'm alway's looking for a man with bigger equipment. Little equipment just won't cut it.. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Reply to
Wanda

For a driveway that size, you don't want to spend all evening to clear it with a wimpy electric and if you get a big snowfall or heavy wet snow, which is common in the GTA, you need lots of power. I have found that a 8 hp Airens, 2 stage at 26" wide can clear my Markham driveway in about 30 to 45 minutes depending on how much snow falls. It also has the guts to move that very wet heavy snow that we get, most anything can move light fluffy snow, but the wet stuff can actually freeze in the discharge chute if the blower doesn't have the power to move it out and onto the side of the driveway.

Reply to
Eric Tonks

Wet snow, or light snow, how much. A single stage may do only 5 inches of wet if it is 6hp plus. Go to a local shop that sells and services them, get their ideas. Electric id say no.

Reply to
m Ransley

I am across the lake from you. I suffered with an electric for a few years. You have to make sure nothing else is on the circuit or they don't get enough amperage. Even then they won't do more than a few inchs; even less if wet.

I have had a 5hp single stage for several years and am happy with it. I can do 3 inchs in half an hour or so. Big snow falls have require repeated clearings, but that doesn't happen too often; especially since you get half as much snow as we do.

Reply to
toller

What's wrong with calling in the army?

;-D

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

3 HP gas powered single stage TORO. Compact and easy to store. Does a good job. I have a 30 x 36 foot driveway, 200 feet of sidewalk and 30 feet of pathway. I should have bought mine a long time ago.
Reply to
PaPaPeng

people laugh about that, but I agree with it, they were just sitting around eating each others barf anyway.

Reply to
Punch
3 hp Toro ,. I have one , it is crap in big snow, 4 inches +

Talk to your local dealer, not us here........

Reply to
m Ransley

I think you're a twit! You should have a little more respect for the people that serve your country!

Reply to
Waldo

I suppose we do have a better situation in Alberta. The snow is usually pretty dry and cold and does not stick together like wet snow. We do get heavy snowfalls and so far the Toro has served me well. I can never go back to shovelling as I am not that well up to it at my age any more.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

Dealer tries to sell not what you need but what you can afford. They say bigger will do job faster, but I am willing that job will take a bit longer. At the same time I want to have something I can use.. Anyway this newgroups really helped me here a lot, so that is why I asked my question here.

Thanks you all for answer

Reply to
SnowBlower

Waldo - you probably just do not know full story. Few years ago when Toronto had a big snowstorm, our ex mayor Lastman called in army to help clean snow :-). Many other cities were joking about that later....

Reply to
IHateSpam3521

Actually, I was living in Brampton at the time and commuted every day into downtown Toronto to U of T where I worked and driving conditions were extremely bad for over a week. I don't object to the fact that people made a joke out of it afterwards. I thought it was kind of goofy for Mell to do that to.

What I object to is the part about "they were just sitting around eating each others (sic) barf anyway". I find this kind of comment, not only very untrue, but extremely degrading and demeaning to the people who are prepared and willing to go out and do our nations dirty work, when ever and where ever, they're called upon.

Reply to
Waldo