Snowblower Carb rebuild gone bad?

I've got an old Toro CCR [3horse?] that was showing signs of carb problems last year so I rebuilt it last week.

The carb is a diaphragm type on a Tecumseh HSK600-1680s.[replacement carb is 640086A - the only numbers on this one are '744 9BS']

I knocked out the 2 welch plugs and soaked the carb overnight in carb cleaner.

Cleaned the plastic needle- it looked fine.

Cleaned gas tank [plastic] and replaced gasoline.

After the rebuild I started it up and it ran ok at factory- warmed it up, adjusted to what sounded real good. . . and waited for snow.

That was only a week ago, but today I couldn't keep it running. Primed it, and it started fine- but it acted like it wasn't pumping gas. As soon as the primed gas ran out, it died. Tried adjusting the carb back to factory- but it wouldn't stay running for more than about 30 seconds. I repeated it often enough to warm the thing up, but it still won't stay running.

I'll play with it more tomorrow- but I'm wondering if someone has run across this before.

Because it doesn't seem to be pumping, my first thought is that I put the diaphragm in wrong, but then why did it run so well last week?

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Someetimes the float needle sticks in the seat. Tip the machine on its side, take the float bowl off, wiggle the float. Make sure the needle moves.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Check your oil-fuel mix ratio. I had similar problems with mine for three seasons. Did the strip down clean up routine too. Having done everything mechanically reasonable the only thing left was the 50:1 fuel-oil mix ratio as embossed on the fuel cap. That fixed the problem. I had been doing the mix by guesswork and inevitably there was "ratio creep." Get a calibrated plastic squeeze bottle from the Dollar Store to store your 2-stroke oil. 40 ml mixed in a 2 liter pop bottle is just the right amount for (my) a single snow clearing chore.

Among the many fixes I tried I had heated the cylinder head with a paint stripper heat gun to get the snowblower going from a lower than minus 20 C cold start. I don't have to do that any more but I find a half minute's heating the carb cup really helps to get the machine started with a pull or two in the coldest weather.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

Jim Elbrecht wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

[snip]

How is the fuel flow to the carb? Fuel line clear? Tank vent open?

Reply to
Clark

diaphragm carb- so no float. But I took the thing apart again- the needle seemed to be moving freely, and sent bubbles back up the gas line when I worked it. [clear line has an advantage] But still no joy on running without constant priming.

The carbs are

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

I have a old snowblower with Brigs and Stratton 5.5 eng. The unit has no primer bulb or button .Problem is in order to start this guy I need to pore a shot glass of gas in the spark plug hole. Would a carb kit help? Eng is Brigs #110900 Frank

Reply to
Frank

Might help - the carb kits are cheap enough. Or you could end up like me and spend $12 on a kit- $10 more on cleaner. . . a couple hours working . . . and then buying a new carb.

For yours the carb is about $65 here-

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

here-

They also make an aftermarket gas cap for Briggs that has a primer built-in.

Reply to
pheeh.zero

I've seen this kind of problem before. Very likelly, you have a bad gasket between the carb and the engine body. So, it's sucking in pure air, instead of gas mix. Just pull the carb off (two bolts) and put a little Permatex #2 non hardening gasket sealer on both sides of the gasket. Reassemble, and see if that helps.

Other option, you may have a choke that's not shutting.

Pore is a small hole. Pour is to dispense liquid.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon