I've got an old Toro CCR [3horse?] that was showing signs of carb
problems last year so I rebuilt it last week.
The carb is a diaphragm type on a Tecumseh HSK600-1680s.[replacement
carb is 640086A - the only numbers on this one are '744 9BS']
I knocked out the 2 welch plugs and soaked the carb overnight in carb
Cleaned the plastic needle- it looked fine.
Cleaned gas tank [plastic] and replaced gasoline.
After the rebuild I started it up and it ran ok at factory- warmed it
up, adjusted to what sounded real good. . . and waited for snow.
That was only a week ago, but today I couldn't keep it running. Primed
it, and it started fine- but it acted like it wasn't pumping gas. As
soon as the primed gas ran out, it died. Tried adjusting the carb
back to factory- but it wouldn't stay running for more than about 30
seconds. I repeated it often enough to warm the thing up, but it
still won't stay running.
I'll play with it more tomorrow- but I'm wondering if someone has run
across this before.
Because it doesn't seem to be pumping, my first thought is that I put
the diaphragm in wrong, but then why did it run so well last week?
On Mon, 3 Dec 2007 19:28:56 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"
diaphragm carb- so no float. But I took the thing apart again- the
needle seemed to be moving freely, and sent bubbles back up the gas
line when I worked it. [clear line has an advantage] But still no joy
on running without constant priming.
The carbs are <$50. Probably should have gone with a new one in the
I have a old snowblower with Brigs and Stratton 5.5 eng. The unit has no
primer bulb or button .Problem is in order to start this guy I need to pore
a shot glass of gas in the spark plug hole. Would a carb kit help?
Eng is Brigs #110900
Might help - the carb kits are cheap enough. Or you could end up like
me and spend $12 on a kit- $10 more on cleaner. . . a couple hours
working . . . and then buying a new carb.<g>
For yours the carb is about $65 here-
I've seen this kind of problem before. Very likelly, you have a bad gasket
between the carb and the engine body. So, it's sucking in pure air, instead
of gas mix. Just pull the carb off (two bolts) and put a little Permatex #2
non hardening gasket sealer on both sides of the gasket. Reassemble, and see
if that helps.
Other option, you may have a choke that's not shutting.
Pore is a small hole. Pour is to dispense liquid.
Christopher A. Young;
"Frank" < email@example.com> wrote in message
Check your oil-fuel mix ratio. I had similar problems with mine for
three seasons. Did the strip down clean up routine too. Having done
everything mechanically reasonable the only thing left was the 50:1
fuel-oil mix ratio as embossed on the fuel cap. That fixed the
problem. I had been doing the mix by guesswork and inevitably there
was "ratio creep." Get a calibrated plastic squeeze bottle from the
Dollar Store to store your 2-stroke oil. 40 ml mixed in a 2 liter pop
bottle is just the right amount for (my) a single snow clearing chore.
Among the many fixes I tried I had heated the cylinder head with a
paint stripper heat gun to get the snowblower going from a lower than
minus 20 C cold start. I don't have to do that any more but I find a
half minute's heating the carb cup really helps to get the machine
started with a pull or two in the coldest weather.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.