Slow siding installer

I think I have hired the slowest vinyl siding installer in the country. It has taken him three months to do one square. At this rate it'll take him five years to do the entire house. My concern is that by the time he gets all the way around the house back to where he started, the first part will have faded and may not match his more recent work. Would it be wise to take the siding out of the boxes and lay it on the ground so it'll be exposed to the sun and fade at the same rate as the siding on the house?

Bob

Reply to
RobertM

buffalobill

Whattya mean 3 months? He did one square in one day and hasn't returned since? Or...what?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

He's been here a dozen times. Part of the problem is that I've paid him at the beginning of the day for a full day's work so he has no incentive to stay. Now I don't pay him until the end of the day which for him is about two hours. I think I'll have to hire someone else but no one likes to take over someone else's job and since the siding is all here, a new company wouldn't be able to sell me anything except labor. Bob

Reply to
RobertM

Fire him NOW. If another installer is uncomfortable continuing with someone else's work, they only need to remove one "square" and start from scratch. If this guy continues, things will only get worse. Who bought the siding? You, or this installer? Call the supplier, explain the mess, and see if it can be returned. Probably not, but they may be able to recommend a fully functional person who can finish the job.

Repeat: Fire him NOW.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Is this called "taking advantage of someone's good nature"?

I agree though......only common sense..to get rid of the problem........and start from scratch.

Sounds like he hasnt a clue of how to do siding....so it will probably all fall off anyhow sooner or later..........get someone who knows what their doin'.

Reply to
avid_hiker

You might be better off going to a supplier and mention that a "contractor friend" just started a job and cannot finish the job and see who they can recommend to do the job over and finish whats been started. The only reason why I would not mention the real story is if they know the guy doing the job word may get back to him.

RobertM wrote:

Reply to
tksirius

This is for a room I just added on. The other part of the house was done by a company that brought in three men and completed the entire job in one day, but it was the sloppiest job I've ever seen so I brought in a different person to do the entire house over. This man's work won't fall off, it's good and looks good but I just can't get him to do the job. A friend told me that after 200 years of inbreeding in the rural south, the motivation gene is missing. I'll see if I can find someone else. I paid the contractor for the siding separate from the labor so I can't return it to where he bought it.

Bob

Reply to
RobertM

What does he say about the issue, or haven't you discussed it with him?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You paid the contractor? Are you sure he paid the supplier for the siding? You may have a bigger problem than you think And if you fire the contractor, you'd best have the siding locked up where he can't lay his hands on it or you may not have the siding for the next contractor to work with. Furthermore, I would insist on a release of mechanics lein on the siding. You might check the siding supplier to see if it's been paid for.

Tom G

Reply to
Tom G

Good points, but ugly ones. This is getting interesting.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Too Funny!!! :-)

For the next contractor....might be best to find someone not so rural. Or get some do it yourself videos.........study them ....and DIY.

Reply to
avid_hiker

1 man does not make a sidewalling crew it takes 2 at the minimum

the one thing about vinyl siding is: if it is not done right you will have more damage than without the new siding.

problems consist of: improper channeling creating water traps wrong overlaps in pieces mold problems due to water getting behind the siding nails too tight causing buckling improper expansion lengths improper flashing / coil stock

anyone who uses caulking with vinyl has done it wrong.

Reply to
ahole