single lever faucet leak problem

Hi, I installed a new 'kit' on my delta single lever sink faucet. It had been dripping badly, and the kit fixed it. The kit included a new ball, new O rings, new springs and gaskets, and a new large rubber washer that fits under a hard plastic cap which the main chrome screw cap fits over.

However, when I use the water it leaks badly around the chrome ball and socket. Before I turn off the water [its difficult in this house and hard to explain] again and dissassemble, does this type of leak indicate an obvious problem? Do I need to get vice grips and tighten down the chrome ring [which compresses the large rubber washer] more?

thx.

itchy

Reply to
itchyneebanshee

Sounds like something is not seated properly. Be sure the ball is in the proper position. Going from memory, there is a grove thing that has to sit in just right.

When you shut the water off, install shut off valves right at the sink to save problems in the future. Extra work now, much less later.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hmmm, No water shut off under the sink??????

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Yes I got the groove in the ball on the metal tab, that seems to sit correctly.

I did notice that the plastic ring that compresses the large rubber washer has a little 'tab' on it and it fits into a slot on the threads that the main chrome cap screws down onto. But I could not press the washer down enough to get the tab into the groove while tighening the ring on the top. The ring and the washer under it would turn as I tightened down the chrome cap. I guess this means that the tab is pressing on top of the threads.

Maybe just taking a penknife and scraping off that tab would allow the plastic ring to compress the washer better?

Btw, I've got shut off valves under the sink but even with both hands I can't get the water to stop, so I have to use a main valve which has difficult access.

thx,

itchy

Reply to
itchyneebanshee

Ok, I cut off the little plastic tab so the rubber gasket would fit down better, and put some teflon tape around the threads, and that seems to have fixed it for now. Nothing leaking under the sink, so I hope this will work.

Reply to
itchyneebanshee