Simple 3-Way Switch Problem

Hello All,

I have a nuisance of a problem I wonder if someone could help with.

My kitchen is controlled by 2 light switches, 1 a dimmer, the other a regular toggle. I presume they are wired for 3 way, because I can turn the light on and off from either switch.

However, they both must be "on" for the light to go on. Just a nuisance, but I have other switches that work properly, and would like to get the same in the Kitchen.

I've tried systemically swapping wires, thinking that my common is switched with a traveler, but nothing seems to work.

Is it possible that I just have a bad switch?

Reply to
Spuzzz

Are there three wires (ignoring ground) to each switch? Is the dimmer one action (off and increasing brightness in one action) or two actions (on/off and dimmer action separate)? If it is one action, I suggest you get rid of it and install a two action or a plain 3way switch; that is probably your problem; and even if it isn't, they are lousy switches. (note, one action and two action are my own terminology; I don't know what they are really called.)

Reply to
toller

Here are a few links that will help you troubleshoot your circuit...

Mr Fixit eh

Reply to
Steve Nekias

Two 3-way switches are required to have a light switch on or off from

2-locations. Neither reguires the other switch to be in any particular postion, i.e. flipping either switch will cause the light to change states (from on to off, or off to on).

I don't know that a dimmer switch can be wired as a 3-way switch. I would suggest replacing it with a normal 3-way switch.

Here's a link which shows one way to wire it:

Conceptually, think of it this way: You have two wires going near a light. You can switch which one has power or which wire is connected to the light.

Reply to
OakRogbak_erPine