Silicone vs. Latex Caulk for new shower

Hi folks-

I'd like to get some opinions regarding which sealing caulk to use around a new tub/shower I'll be putting in. Silicone I/II or Latex with fungicides?

For now lets assume we're talking about a tub that is either iron (porcelain/enamel coated) or fiberglass, and meets up with ceramic tile walls. Which provides the best, longest - lasting seal?

Thanks

Marc

Reply to
MAG

I vote for Silicone Bathroom and Tile sealer. Available in clear or several colors. Silicone II is paintable, AFAIK, but not intended for bath applications, as it is more porous. Latex is inappropriate, I think - meant for non hydraulic applications.

"> I'd like to get some opinions regarding which sealing caulk to use

Reply to
Roger

......and make sure it is absolutedly clean and dry. Wipe with bleach and dry just prior to caulking. Painters tape make for a nice straight edge. Remove tape right away.

Reply to
NorMinn

My vote goes to pure, unpaintable silicone. Far less likely to stain.

And if you have excellent insulation in your bathroom wall, such as 3 1/2" of Styrofoam, you have less likelihood of mold and mildew.

Reply to
Michael Baugh

Silicone II bath and tub...

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran

This is what I use in my home. I don't like silicone caulks since they are difficult to repair. When I use caulk I prefer polyurethane. Schluter's Dilex is a far superior solution. I'll be pitting one in today on another tub enclosure.

RB

Hi folks-

Reply to
RB

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply!

Reply to
MAG