Shutter Wood Suggestions

I want to build some shutters that will be decorative ONLY. They will be on each side of the window, attached to the stucco. They will be made of a few

1x6's or 1x8's laid flat, with one diagonal across. There may be a decorative flat iron hinge.

The climate there is dry. We do get some rain in July and August, but the rest of the time, it's pretty dry. Freezing temps 100 nights a year on average.

What would be a good choice for this so I don't have to redo it in a few years. I know the cedar one by's at the Borg are simple, and I have used them on fences. You just have to let them dry, as they do shrink a lot, I learned. And I don't want anything that will warp, although I know that's hard to predict.

Is there some other wood that would look good, but not be cost prohibitive? They will be painted before being hung.

I'm in the Utah area, if that makes a difference in wood availability.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB