Shower surround kits/Again..

I've all but completly torn out my old tub/shower and have found a (shower only) model from Sterling ( at lowes) that I like. It has a center drain but my bath has a left hand drain.

Is it very hard to relocate a drain? Also, I have a window in the upper middle of the shower wall. Is it very hard to modify these kits. You have to cut them to get the shower head etc through, so I imagine there is a way to modify them without damage to the entire wall piece..?

A problem I can see would be most of these kits push out from the where they connect. That is , they connect at the top flush with the studs but push out from the wall below there to make them more flush with surrounding dry wall or tile..

So, if I cut for the middle of the wall window, I will have to fill in below that area and some how glue the thing around the window.. ?

TIA CP

Reply to
Charles Pisano

Windows in and around showers and tubs are always a bad design. Few ever go more than a dozen years without structural problems like rot and mold cropping up. Your best recourse is to get a comprehensive design and plan and not attempt a hack job on a piece of plumbing you found in a box store. Besides a professional architect (probably your best and eventually cheapest choice) there are design programs available at bath specialty stores to get everything coordinated. You need a lot more help than you can find in a newsgroup, but that shouldn't discourage you from doing the project. God luck.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Thanks

I agree that it's not a god design. I plan on selling this house soon, so I'm going as inexpensively as possible. I finally called the manufacuturerer (sterling) and they said they have window kits. So I guess I'll give that a shot.

I've got the demolition almost done. There was some blown in insulation up against that same CBS (exterior-windowed) wall that has furring strips. Do I need to replace this insulation? It doesn't seem like the amount that's there is accomplishing much. And I'm in wam climate..

Reply to
Charles Pisano

If you opt for replacing the insulation, go with something that's water proof, like extruded polystyrene foam board. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe