Shower Head Clogging

More likely it is mineral buildup, due to evaporation. Whether it is algae or minerals, it may be accumulating because you are not opening the diverter valve after shutting off the shower, which should then empty out the shower hose into the main spiggot. This will keep the head dry, which could mean less buildup and clogging.

Reply to
Roger Taylor

I don't recall the namebrand, but my handheld has lots of tiny pinholes in it, and they tend to get clogged presumably with algae. I can rub my finger over them and then it flows ok. Any ideas how to prevent this from happening?

Reply to
someone

IIRC you can install a household water softner for this too. Its a sign of 'hard' water.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Go get a gallon of white vinegar. Pour in bucket, add another gallon of the hottest water you can get from the tap. Soak the shower head for a couple of hours. That'll clear out the minerals. Plan on doing it again....whenever.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Sometimes maybe. :-) The OP didn't say how often the buildup becomes a problem. Here, our water authority says we have "moderately hard" water, and I have to soak the shower head perhaps twice a year. Based on my perception of softened water at friends' homes (weird taste, slimy feeling on skin), I'd rather deal with the minor hazards of hard water. I'll qualify this comment by saying that I suspect these friends softeners are WAY out of adjustment - or something.

Reply to
Doug Kanter