shovelling snow

I can tell you from experience, when it's 115C in the shade and over

50% humidity you don't go out without your shirt on - particularly in the sun. I found a light cotton T shirt was "comfortable" but not as good as a light loose fitting cotton shirt. that let the air move. You stayed in the shade as much as possible, and tried to find a spot with a breeze. With high humidity sweating didn't help - and the only way you got any evaporation was with a breeze. That late October 1973 afternoon at 115 in the shade was a "cool comfortable" day compared to the 2 weeks before. (when the RH was occaisionally actually over 100% - and yes, that IS possible!!!) The humidity is highly localized close to the falls -a HUGE humidifier. The rains come in November
Reply to
Clare Snyder

I can tell you from experience that I did just that, repeatedly.

Presumably you 115C is a typo and you meant 115F.

It wasn't possible when I was building my house. There was no shade.

That's not high humidity.

Bullshit.

Reply to
Fred

I sure hope you mean 115F

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Yes, I've been in the midday sun in the middle of summer on a sunny day, and I've been doing physical work there, and I like it better with my shirt off than my shirt on.

So don't trust me. I'm not telling you or anyone how to behave. I am saying that for some people, my method works better. Surely you don't think everyone is the same.

Or they're used to it, or conforming to cultural rules about modesty.

Or something about their ethnnic, genetic background makes them respond differently from me. Anyhow, I'm not going to change my habits to go by a second-hand report of what Mexicans and Guatemalans do.

You made me curious so I looked. My first search didn't bother to specify working and some of the hits were about swimming:

If they wear clothes while swimming, I'm not going to feel prompted to copy their style when dry.

Changing the search terms didn't work well, so I'm quitting.

Reply to
micky

There is a lot of home building going on near me. Many of the workers are Mexican, as are many of the landscape people. I don't recall ever seeing one shirtless. Most working outside have wide brim hats too, no backwards ball caps.

Only shirtless person I see is my scrawny gringo next door neighbor.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Most people in the know that work outside in the sun will have cloths on that cover all the skin but the face and a hat with a large brim. Except for the Arabs that still cover all the skin as much as possiable.

Even the old farmers will be dressed the same way. It may be hot, but beats getting sun burned and possiable skin cancer at later years.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Were you ON the sun? 115C? (239F for you Americans)

Reply to
gfretwell

Wear sunscreen

Reply to
gfretwell

From the pictures I see of the Arabs they do not wear hats with broad brims, but do have some kind of head covering.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Sometimes it is difficult to put on the computer what I really mean to say. Words out of order, slight mispelling or two words that are pronounced the same but spelled different, commas in the wrong place, and many other things can cause confusion.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

On Sat, 20 Feb 2021 15:51:38 -0500, micky posted for all of us to digest...

So you ran when the going got tough... Better with a shirt on. As I'm sure others will tell you.

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 22:00:10 -0500, micky posted for all of us to digest...

That's because you were blocked from the sun by all the spy planes flying over Baltimore. Do you live in the shadows?

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 13:43:00 -0500, Ralph Mowery posted for all of us to digest...

I'm getting the same way. Some tips: Use your spell checker. Reread prior to posting. Use a grammar checker such as Grammerly. I am a natural dufus so I need a lot of help.

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 00:18:42 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com posted for all of us to digest...

Wear an armored vest and see what that feels like.

Or better yet, wear turnout gear.

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Sat, 20 Feb 2021 21:15:48 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com posted for all of us to digest...

Ok, I'm jealous. I have asked you several times to adopt me but you never accept.

Reply to
Tekkie©

Spell checker is "grate". I admit my spelling is not very good.

Just look see at this.

SPELL CHECKER

I half a spell checker. It came with my PC. It plane lee mars four my revue, Miss steaks aye can knot sea.

Eye ran this pone rite threw it, Your sure reel glad two no. Its vary polished inn its weigh... My checker tolled me sew.

A checker is a bless sing It freeze ewe lodes of thyme. It helps me right, awl stiles two reed, And aides me when aye rime.

Each frays come posed up on my screen, Eye trussed too bee a joule. The checker pours ore every word To cheque sum spelling rule.

Be fore a veiling checkers, Hour spelling mite decline, And if were lacks or have a laps, We wood be made to wine.

Butt now bee cause my spelling Is checked with such grate flare, Their are know faults with in my cite, Of non eye am a wear.

Now spelling does knot phase me, It does knot bring a tier. My pay purrs awl due glad den With wrapped words fare as hear.

To rite with care is quite a feet Of witch won should bee proud. And wee mussed dew the best wee can, Sew flaws are knot aloud.

Sew ewe can sea why eye dew prays Such soft wear four pea sees. And why I brake in two averse By righting want too pleas.

author unknown

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Sorry - over 85%

Yes

Look up supersaturated. Rare but possible.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I was going to say something about shovelling - - - it - but, na - not going there today - -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Don't need to, I know what it means.

But isnt more than 100%

Neither is rain and mist.

Reply to
Fred

On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 21:36:15 -0500, Clare Snyder posted for all of us to digest...

Isn't that what a pressure cooker does?

Reply to
Tekkie©