should I be concerned?

I noticed now on two toilets when I replaced the guts, that the water supply shut off valve below the toilet didn't completely shut off the water. I'd say it shut it off like 99.8% so you could see a tiny amount of water still on. Now when it's connected to the toilet (in my case two of them), no leakage. Of course the valve is open when connected to the toilets. These valves are original with house (14 yrs old) with plastic handles so I expect not the best quality. Should I replace them or leave it alone? I expect to be in the house at least 5 to 10 more years. Also can these cheaper valves be rebuilt or best to just replace? If I get a plumber to do it, I suppose they will just want to replace them? Any idea what they charge in Houston, Texas? Advice?

Reply to
Doug

It will only be a problem if you ever need to *really* shut off the toilets, like during a remodel or replacement project where the only thing left will be the shut off or shut off and supply hose. You'll either need to find a way to cap the shut off/hose or find a way to collect the water.

This might be a great time to hone your DIY skills. Shut off the main to the house and replace the shut offs yourself. If you can replace the innards of a toilet without any problems, then you got *some* DIY skills. Practice on the workbench if you want to build your confidence. I'd hate to have you pay a plumber for what should be a fairly simple job.

P.S. I say "should be a simple job" knowing full well that even the simplest of plumbing repairs can be troublesome. BTDT. Since I can't see the job from where I'm sitting, I have to leave it up to you to decide if you want to tackle it.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

What I might do is buy a replacement valve to have on hand in case I need it and do the job myself. I had a leak in a valve itself here and had to run out right before the remnants of a hurricane came through last year. Then I mistakenly bought the wrong valve so I had to tolerate the leak until the next day.

Getting old, I hire a plumber to do most of my work. I don't think he even comes to the house for less than $50 than the charge is about $80/hr. Cost of parts are insignificant.

Reply to
Frank

What you should really be asking is: What will you do if while trying to remove the old valve the nipple holding it is rusted and breaks with a part of it still stuck inside the elbow in the wall?

Reply to
Molly Brown

Doug wrote "should I be concerned" in the subject line.

Yes, I would be concerned.

I'd be concerned that nobody would read my post, because I asked a stupid-ass question in the subject line, giving the reader absolutely no idea what my post is about.

Reply to
Home Guy

Give the guy a break, he is obviously new to this. Just let him know politely netiquette and then blast him if he does it again. You were younger and newer at one time (I hope)

Reply to
hrhofmann

No. Didn't you just replace the guts on 2 toilets with no problem? Old valves often leak through worse than yours. If you want to get all anal about it, shut off the valve leading to the toilet valve. That might leak through even worse. Then you can get even more "concerned." (-:

Reply to
Vic Smith

since you've read the post, that must make you a stupid-ass reader, yes?

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Are you the self appointed moderator here? Feel free to skip my posts.

Reply to
Doug

I sorta came to this conclusion Oren. Thank you !!

Reply to
Doug

Correct Vic, I didn't really have much problem replacing the guts but I had a small plastic container to collect the slight water coming thru the supply line while I replaced the inside guts. Of course once I reconnected the supply line and opened the valve, no leakage or problem.

You remind me what my dad use to say (he was extremely handy but he also was a builder too, I'm not), he said to me ... "don't fix it unless it's broke". Maybe I'm not listening well :(

Reply to
Doug

I was wondering the same thing... let me see real quick if I can tell. Ok, I think it's a compression fitting because I see a nut. See these pics (of one toilet but I think it's the same in the entire house) here....

I pulled the little round face plate away from the wall just to show how it looks at the wall.

I guess I'll leave it alone since I was told when I was young by my dad... if it's not broke, don't fix it. I am curious tho, do I need two wrenches to undo it... one on the back nut (closest to the wall) and when where the supply line attaches to the valve? Thanks.

You sound handy !!!

Reply to
Doug

Obviously there is no moderator.

I'm only pointing out how you could have made better use of the subject line.

That's what that line is for.

If you want to be an ass and ridicule my reply - that's your choice.

Reply to
Home Guy

I you didnt' want to be an ass, you could have made your point _politely_.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

You will need a ferule puller to remove it and then hope that the new ferule holds tight and doesn't come-off when you're not home. I don't trust compression fittings. Be best if you solder a MIP adapter on to the end.

Reply to
Molly Brown