shingles on ridge vent -only cosmetic?

Gorilla tape, as good as it is, won't last one summer. I have a plastic garbage can lid with a 4" crack patched with gorilla tape and it's lasted for a year, but it's on the shady side of the house, n ot on the roof.

Heck, it's trim. It can contrast with the rest of the roof and still look good. OR, I patched my roof a year ago near the roof ridge and I kicked myself that I didn't save the brand and color of the original roof, so I could get matching shingles. (And I even let a few left-over shingles get ruined and threw them away. Kicking myself again.)

So I let roofer get whatever he thought was good (and he only had two possible shades of tan) and you know what? There is too much light** in the sky and I can never tell if it matches or not. **Except at night, and I can't tell then either. Maybe if I had a one-story house it would be visible, even noticeable. But I don't think so. You can't see the roof when you get close to the house.

That roll stuff is just flimsy material and it's intended to be

Reply to
micky

I looked that stuff up. It is not what we call ridge vent. The stuff we use is mushroom shaped aluminum with holes up under the dome, The shingles go up to the cut in the sheathing and this goes on top.

Reply to
gfretwell

Did you use plain Gorilla duct tape model 6038505

?

I was thinking to use Gorilla All Weather, model 6009002.

the amazon description says it's good for roofs too.

Reply to
r31 aug

You and Fretwell should get together and start a home repair service.

Reply to
trader_4

The op asked if he needed to replace. I too have no answer but what is it? I have done roofing with no shingles on rv and regular cut ridge with shingles. Foam vent with shingles to match roof is my only way..

*rv is roof vent
Reply to
Thomas

On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 15:52:15 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com posted for all of us to digest...

7

Like a lawyer says: It depends.

Reply to
Tekkie©

Any thoughts on Gorilla Patch and Seal; the package image itself (not just amazon description) says it's good for roofing.

Thanks.

Reply to
r31 aug

Probably this stuff. Definitely not what follows:

I had not seen this stuff before you posted it.

I used to spend more time browsing hardware stores, but because of Corona, I haven't learned anything in 13 months.

Reply to
micky

On Fri, 16 Apr 2021 20:51:17 -0400, micky posted for all of us to digest...

You betcha!

Reply to
Tekkie©