lift shingles on 20 year old roof?

Hi, any thoughts on whether it's safe to lift shingles to replace an attic fan on a 20 year old roof, NYC suburbs, shingles look fine, very little gra nule loss, single layer of shingles (not 2nd layer)? Even in summer, will the shingles be brittle and crack, requiring even more repair?

Background: Attic fan cover blew off in late 2012 (fan doesn't work); I rep laced cover with a plastic sled but last month I first noticed a crack in i t (about 8" long on 24" diameter sled), probably due to heavy snow back in March and UV damage over 4 years.

My options:

  1. replace plastic sled with a 24" diameter water heater drain pan (Aluminu m) - by myself

  1. get a roofer to lift shingles and replace the attic fan (without electri cal connection)

  2. get a roofer to lift shingles, put down a 16" circular piece of plywood held in place with deck screws to a cross piece of wood, cover with new fel t and shingles (and thus avoid replacing the entire plywood sheet).

My concerns with options 2 and 3 are causing problems by lifting 20-year ol d shingles. Right now the roof looks fine.

Thanks.

Reply to
rachelms79

c fan on a 20 year old roof, NYC suburbs, shingles look fine, very little g ranule loss, single layer of shingles (not 2nd layer)? Even in summer, wil l the shingles be brittle and crack, requiring even more repair?

eplaced cover with a plastic sled but last month I first noticed a crack in it (about 8" long on 24" diameter sled), probably due to heavy snow back i n March and UV damage over 4 years.

num) - by myself

rical connection)

d held in place with deck screws to a cross piece of wood, cover with new f elt and shingles (and thus avoid replacing the entire plywood sheet).

old shingles. Right now the roof looks fine.

with a 20 year roof life expectanccy, messing with the roof will NOT help.

just do whats necessary and replace the entire roof

Reply to
bob haller

e:

tic fan on a 20 year old roof, NYC suburbs, shingles look fine, very little granule loss, single layer of shingles (not 2nd layer)? Even in summer, w ill the shingles be brittle and crack, requiring even more repair?

replaced cover with a plastic sled but last month I first noticed a crack in it (about 8" long on 24" diameter sled), probably due to heavy snow back in March and UV damage over 4 years.

minum) - by myself

ctrical connection)

ood held in place with deck screws to a cross piece of wood, cover with new felt and shingles (and thus avoid replacing the entire plywood sheet).

r old shingles. Right now the roof looks fine.

He's reluctant to replace a sheet of plywood so I seriously doubt he'll spr ing for a new roof.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

c fan on a 20 year old roof, NYC suburbs, shingles look fine, very little g ranule loss, single layer of shingles (not 2nd layer)? Even in summer, wil l the shingles be brittle and crack, requiring even more repair?

eplaced cover with a plastic sled but last month I first noticed a crack in it (about 8" long on 24" diameter sled), probably due to heavy snow back i n March and UV damage over 4 years.

num) - by myself

rical connection)

d held in place with deck screws to a cross piece of wood, cover with new f elt and shingles (and thus avoid replacing the entire plywood sheet).

I'll bet you dollars to donuts that no roofer is going to cut a circle. My bet will be that they will square off the hole and use a straight sided piece of plywood. It does n't have to be a whole sheet, just enough to fill the hole and land on 2 rafters. Either som e extra support or clips can be used where the non-supported edges meet.

old shingles. Right now the roof looks fine.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Why not replace the fan? Otoh, i not being a roofer can cut a circle to fill it in. Do it on a hot day either way.

Reply to
Thomas

c fan on a 20 year old roof, NYC suburbs, shingles look fine, very little g ranule loss, single layer of shingles (not 2nd layer)? Even in summer, wil l the shingles be brittle and crack, requiring even more repair?

eplaced cover with a plastic sled but last month I first noticed a crack in it (about 8" long on 24" diameter sled), probably due to heavy snow back i n March and UV damage over 4 years.

num) - by myself

I did that, use a water heater drain pan, to replace a plastic cover on my attic fan that had failed. It worked fine.

rical connection)

IF the shingles are just 20 years old and not showing signs that they need replacing yet, I think you'll be fine. You can try lifting a few on a warm day and see.

d held in place with deck screws to a cross piece of wood, cover with new f elt and shingles (and thus avoid replacing the entire plywood sheet).

I guess that depends on whether you want to get rid of the fan forever and if there is other sufficient venting, eg a ridge vent to handle the needed air.

old shingles. Right now the roof looks fine.

If it looks fine, you should be OK with lifting them. I've lifted older ones than that and had no problems.

Reply to
trader_4

After 20 years there is some risk. Some shingles are designed to last only 20 years and that could push them over the edge. If they are a good 40 year shingle, no big deal.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If it's in good condition and not leaking, why replace it? "Life expectancy" is an estimate based on statistical inference, not a drop dead date.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Go underneath them and pull the nails out. Or, just remove them and replace them with new ones. I'm in Westechester also, and just lifting them will crack them.

Reply to
Rocinante