shingles

I'd like to put a new roof on, well the insurance company says I need to and I can't argue with them.

It's been a long time since I've done any shingling and I was thinking of getting something like this:

#2 Owens Corning ARC 30

Is that a good deal/product or should I look elsewhere.

and contracting out to a pickup truck full of Mexicans. I've got a friend who knows how to work that and has done shingling before. I'sd rent a nail gun and I've already got flashing.

Is it still 30# felt or is there something new?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Jeff - since I plan on residing where I am until they carrry me out in a body bag I redid my roof. I hired a pro, used a fibreglass shingle and used the ice dam material on the entire house - had my rain gutters upgraded as well. No worries. DIY on the roof is fine if you know what you are doing. If your insurance wants it upgraded you may have put in a claim? They may want to see a receipt and send their own inspector out to see if it was not only done but done correctly.

Reply to
jim

When we had our last house built (metal roof), they used a blue poly membrane instead of felt or wsu. Not sure how that works. Felt is supposed to carry water vapor away from the roof deck. Plastic wouldn't do that, but then you wouldn't want water vapor under metal anyway.

Reply to
Robert Neville

if the insurance company is concerned about your old roof you may need decking replaced, and dont forget hauling away old shingles and debris...

dumpsters can cst a lot

Reply to
hallerb

Lord have mercy I cannot tell you how many ways this could end and none of them are good.Your home is an investment and you are going to trust it to a truck load of mexicans? If you have someone roof your house the last person I would even consider to do it is someone who would need to rent a nailgun.I am in the roofing business and I enjoy helping people make the right decisions pertaining to they're home. I would hope that you are smart enough to make a rational decision concerning your home.

Reply to
roofmaster417

A lot of people in the trades feel this way, that you should spend a lot of money to hire one of their ilk.

Once you get beyond the valleys and flashing, roofing is not complex work. Certainly the tear down is not complex, and you want me to hire a roofing company. I'd rather hire the crew rather than buy the owner a new pickup truck.

So defend your turf, but it's no sale here. And you are no help either. Feel better?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies