Seventeen Pounds

aemeijers wrote in news:Mlh7l.106693$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

And to that I present Cheerio (who has since passed).

That dog is like 150 lbs mind you. He took no shit from anyone or thing. Again, extremely prople oriented including kids. When daughter was young they would take him roller blading in arms. He stayed with them willingly.

Reply to
Red Green

Yeah, I've got one named Boris who is likewise happy-go-lucky. Absolutely wacky. Loves everybody, sleeps on a sloping roof on his back, all four paws pointing to the moon, pretends he's stuck in a tree and yowls pitifully (although only six feet from the ground), all sorts of crazy-cat antics.

Reply to
HeyBub

On Fri 02 Jan 2009 07:21:57p, HeyBub told us...

Our five are all indoor cats, mainly due to the large dogs and coyotes roaming the neighborhood. We do take them outdoors with us into the backyard, but only when we can spend time with them. With five, they certainly entertain both themselves, each other, and us. Our eldest is now

17; our yougest is 4. They're in extremely good health.

We're gone a lot from home during the day, and though it's obvious they miss us, I don't think they're the least bit lonely.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

When I was a kid my mother had an orange tom named lucky. He was hell on wheels concerning dogs. I'll never forget the big dog that strayed into our yard being pounced on by the cat. On his rapid retreat the sissy decided to take a shortcut through dad's veggie garden, not realizing the far side had a chicken-wire border. I couldn't see the old mutt through the tomatoes, but could hear him howling when he hit the wire. He thought the cat had caught him.

Reply to
1D10T

I don't think they're lonely either. With the exception of lions, all cats are solitary critters. They're quite content to be alone. That doesn't mean, as you said, that they're not glad to see you. Heck, Dewey (book by the same name) even took to waving "good morning" to the first arriving library staffer.

HeyBub

On Sat 03 Jan 2009 04:12:33a, HeyBub told us...

Aw, that's sweet! Of our 5 cats, 2 are females and 3 are males. Both the females (the oldest and youngest of the whole bunch) are quite aloof and can't be bothered with the other 3. One of the three males is older than the other two. When the latter were introduced to the household as kittens, the older male took over their "care", and the 3 are inseparable. It's not uncommon to see 2 of the 3 or all 3 playing or sleeping together.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

I set a Hav-A-Hart to trap a groundhog. Instead, the next day I found a possum stuffed completely inside the trap with no room. The possum was square-shaped with the fur coming out all sides of the trap. I opened the trap from both sides but the animal was stuck. I pushed his butt with a toilet plunger, he came out of the trap on the other side then quietly walked away. Came across to me like a stupid animal.

Reply to
Phisherman

Jeeze! That must have been one huge opossum, I thought they were about the same size as a groundhog...

'Course I've only seen one groundhog in the fur. While visiting the Audubon Society of Western Pennsylvania Sanctuary and Nature trails, I was introduced to Harriet, their semi-pet groundhog. I told the executive director that we didn't have groundhogs in my part of Texas, but we did have armadillos.

"Tell ya what," I offered, "I'll trade you an armadillo for a groundhog!"

"Good God NO!" shuddered the Audubon guy, "Can you imagine what would happen to the granny-ladies walking our bird-watching trails if an armadillo waddled out in front of them?"

Reply to
HeyBub

An armadillo is just a possum on the half shell. They are more of a crock pot thing.

Reply to
gfretwell