service line leak / polybutylene

Information about the claim is offered at --

SJF

Reply to
SJF

I have a leak (5 gal/min), apparently in the line from the meter to the house. It's blue plastic pipe. The house is about 20 years old. From my reading online this is exterior polybutylene.

Anyone know what the current situation is on claims against the manufacturers of polybutylene?

Also the interior pipe is copper. The house is on a concrete slab (no basement). Any idea where the transition from polybutylene to copper would occur. I'm hoping outside as the main shutoff valve is located in the center of the house. It's hard to see in the wall where the shut off valve is located, but it looks like the copper is wrapped in black insulation near the slab. No sign of the blue stuff there.

Thanks for any information on this.

--Art

Reply to
Art M

Plastic 20 years ago that is interesting.

Some where within 5-7 feet from your house is the transition.

Reply to
SQLit

Thanks to both of you. Any recommendations on what to use to replace the pb pipe? Roll of 3/4" copper pipe? It's only about 20 to 30 feet to the house, but it will have to go close to a tree.

--Art

Reply to
Art M

There was nothing wrong with pb pipe. The problem was the aluminum crimp rings and acetyl fittings. Probably the leak is at the transition. If you put in a new adapapter, you should be OK. Use copper or brass adapter and copper crimp ring. TOTE: the size is the same as PEX. If you cannot get PB fittings and rings, use PEX fittings and rings. The poly pipe should be fine to use over. You may want to replace the connection at the meter also.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch