Septic System Question

Hello,

As a firm believer that the definition of true happiness is a well working septic system, let me please ask this:

Have always used Scott toilet tissue.

Wife wants now to change to Cottonelle brand. (please don't ask why)

Implication is that it has cotton fibers.

I believe that I read somewhere years ago that this stuff doesn't break down, and is bad for septic systems.

Anyone have any experience with, or opinions on ? Would hate to mess up system.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

Cotton is cellulose, just like paper. Might take a while longer to break down but it should break down.

Reply to
Frank

Implication, in this case, being erroneous. "Is Cottonelle=AE Toilet Paper made with any recycled fiber? No, it is made with virgin wood fibers."

The volume of paper will have more to do with creating a problem than the type.

RicodJour

With my old toilet I used Scott and it helped it from blocking up, but still the toilet sucked and often blocked up. It hardly ever worked with cottonelle.

New champion 4 (american standard) flushes well, even with the softer fluffier paper including Cottonell.

I don't think any TP sold in the US will cause septic problems if you have your system pumped out every few years. It's an old rumor that the stuff all turns to liquid and never needs pumping.

Reply to
Tony

Some TP specifically says "safe to use with septic systems" but I don't recall which ones .

Reply to
hrhofmann

Never had a problem with solids. Depending on your field design I'd be more concerned with ground water level. I try to use less water but a flush should be observed for evacuation and if it slows it may be due to field slowing. Pump it out professionally or yourself which depends on your area. Then there is the issue of your traps. First one should be readily accessible for a quick look see. Your septic tank can be bricked up to the surface so access does not require digging a + when the ground is 25 F.

We use scotts too white.

Septic designs have changed 5 or 6 times here in the last 40 years.

Bill

Reply to
Bill who putters