Self-aligning screw thread?

Breakage has not been a problem for me.  I guess US people are more skilled with a hand drill.  ;-)

Reply to
devnull

I'm talking about the thin 2-3mm pilots. A few degrees off the right angle and they just snap.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I think US people have more inertia so they can't move sideways so quickly. Just because there's a MacDonalds on every street doesn't mean you have to use all of them.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

devnull

Are you really that ignorant? Americans are infamous the world over:

Commander Kinsey

I won't let you near my 0.35 mm drills then... A couple of winters ago I decided to build a model boat and figured starting small was a good idea. Sweet Jesus, everything was tiny. I've built real boats faster. At least for me it was not a relaxing experience.

Reply to
rbowman

If it's plastic, fine, but drilling into hardwood with a 3mm pilot drill requires a steady hand, or several spare drill bits.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

1/32 x 1/64 brass strip was furnished to fabricate the hardware, and you have to drill a hole in the 1/32 side for the hinge pins. 1/32" is 0.8mm so your 3mm isn't going to work. I bought a set of bits that ranged from .030mm to 1.00mm.

Maybe some people get off on writing the lord's prayer on a pinhead, but I'm not one of them. If I ever build another boat it wil lbe at least

12' long, not 6 inches, and I won't need 4x magnifiers to see the damn thing.

To really top the cake Amazon labels it as 'Model Shipways 18th Century Longboat 1/4" Scale Wood Model Kit - Intro to Shipmodeling'

Reply to
rbowman

Perhaps they've updated it because it now says '1/48 scale'.

Reply to
TOJ

Same thing, just to confuse people. 1/4" represents 1 foot or 12".

12/48 is 1/4. In other words a 48' long boat in 1/48 scale would be 1' long. If 1/4" is a 1', it would be 48' x 1/4", 48/4, or 12 ".
Reply to
rbowman

I like a model boat to be about 2 foot long, although even that can be fiddly.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

How does that make a difference? You need a certain amount out of the chuck to go into the workpiece.

No, it means you lose less money when they inevitably fail.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

What I really set out to build was the Amati Oseberg viking ship that's about 18". The kit is about $150 so I decided to perfect my single plank hull technique with a cheap $50 kit. Should have went big to start with.

Reply to
rbowman

You're American and didn't go big?!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I was born on the North American continent. I don't necessarily exhibit the characteristics of muh fellow murkins. I also thank the Gods I'm not a Brit.

Too bad Strummer is dead. You could fire Parliament and make him PM.

Reply to
rbowman

On average we're better than you lot. By 2 IQ points. And 50 pounds.

Agreed.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Agreed.

That land whale has at least 50 pounds on most Americans.

Reply to
rbowman

At last, the women getting done for gold digging.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Apropos of nothing does 'touching the dog's ass' have any current meaning? I watched 'Made in Britain' last night. It was made in 1982 and was Tim Roth's first movie. I concluded it referred to 'Taking and Driving Away' but even that seems like an obscure refinement on car theft in general.

I can't say it was a very edifying movie.

Reply to
rbowman

Google says it's 80s speak for stealing a car. I was born in 1975 and have never heard it.

good to me, and quite realistic compared to the people who live around here, I'll watch it at some point.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey