Self-aligning screw thread?

In the 21st century, has someone not invented a screw thread which always aligns perfectly? Even a simple bottle top never goes on straight, you have to turn the bloody thing backwards to make it jump into place.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Methinks what you are looking for is called a "cork".

BTW, we teach our children the "turn it backwards" maneuver.

Reply to
Anonymous

I only heard of it once, from my father when I was attempting to attach a lenshood onto a FED 4 35mm film camera, which has a very very fine thread.

BTW, it's manoeuvre.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

What I'm looking for is an inventor to bring us into this century. I'm really not impressed with the devices we use today. On the one hand we have mobile phones which are more powerful than supercomputers a few decades ago, but then simple little things are still shit. We still use the internal combustion engine for example. We can't cure the simplest of diseases. For goodness sake, priorities anyone?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

In the ordinance business we had to unteach that trick for guys installing long time delay bomb fuses.

Reply to
gfretwell

That’s not accurate with vaccination alone.

We’re doing fine with that with vaccination.

Reply to
BillD

Some years ago there was a thred with three spirals on it. It was indeed hard to get it on badly.

I guess the self tapping screw was the solution they came up with, cheap and cheerful Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

There are quite a few with two but mainly wood screws and you do not have to restart as often.

Reply to
FMurtz

vaccination is not a cure, its a prophylactic.

The body cures simple diseases. All by itself.

Of course we can cure many others with antibiotics, but they have become so rare that no one gets them anymore.

Many cancers can be cured by chemotherapy.

'Commader Kinsey' is of course just another nym shift from a resident troll.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That sounds very useful, why aren't they all made like that?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

They shouldn't call them self tapping because they rarely do unless the wood is very soft indeed. Usually the force to create the hole wears off the er.... the bit the screwdriver goes into. I almost always use a pilot drill first, unless I'm in a hurry, then I curse the bloody screws when they burr.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Not easily. Even catching a cold drains your energy.

Which isn't pleasant, and not all cancers.

ROTFPMSL! You shot yourself in the foot there. BillD is Rod Speed.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Cold vaccine anyone?

Stop repeating yourself Rod Speed.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

That’s hair splitting given that smallpox has been eliminated from the wild. That’s a real cure.

Just how do you decide what is a ‘simple disease’ ?

No one gets what anymore ?

And by surgery.

Reply to
BillD

It costs more to make it like that and doesn’t look as good with that bit sticking out of the nut.

Reply to
BillD

Ordinance is stuff like artillery and so the maps were for them originally

Reply to
BillD

We don’t have bone because it evolves too fast.

Reply to
BillD

Works fine in sheet metal and in thicker metal if you get the hole size right.

Reply to
BillD

Long time delay fuses (minutes to hours) have an anti tamper device that causes the bomb to go off immediately if you try to unscrew it.

Probably because they were originally derived from artillery range maps or drawn by the people who made that kind of map.

Reply to
gfretwell

Depth of the hole or not wanting extra screw length on the back side?

Reply to
gfretwell