What is Inside a Microwave Oven Probe?

Mine seems to have gotten intermittent, and I'm curios to know how they're made.
--
croy

On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 3:19:43 PM UTC-5, croy wrote:

I don't have one, but assuming they measure temperature, I would expect that it's a common, cheap thermistor, 10K ones are commonly used, but they could be of other values or type.

They arent all done the same way, some have a thermocouple, some have a thermistor, some have a resistor that changes its resistance with temperature.

Likely just a wiring failure, cracked wire now.
On Sunday, February 17, 2019 at 3:43:22 PM UTC-5, Rod Speed wrote:

A resistor that changes resistance with temp is a thermistor, fool.

A thermistor is just one type of resistor whose resistance changes with temperature, fuckwit.
In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 17 Feb 2019 19:40:26 -0700, %

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermistor Thermistors differ from resistance temperature detectors (RTDs) in that the material used in a thermistor is generally a ceramic or polymer, while RTDs use pure metals. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistance_thermometer The RTD wire is a pure material, typically platinum, nickel, or copper. The material has an accurate resistance/temperature relationship which is used to provide an indication of temperature.

[g]
--
Never start a project until you've picked out someone to blame. --The
Wizard of Id