Security System Backup Battery

Our system battery has never been changed since installation in 1995. The installers said it would need to be changed periodically but they never followed up. Are these batteries readily available and easy to change out?

Ken

Reply to
Ken

Ken wrote:>Are these batteries readily available and easy to change out?

Yes. Tom Work at your leisure!

Reply to
Tom

It can be one of a hundred different batteries and dozens if different systems so no one can give you an accurate assessment.

Radio Shack can order just about any battery you need.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I am sure its dead. Most systems give a fault when the backup is bad..... usually 3 in the morning. At least mind did.

Reply to
Art

Leave a message on what the battery brand and model is and if it is obsolete, it will probably cross. If you have a Batteries Plus franchise nearby, just haul it into them. That place is great. You may need to solder / desolder the battery so hopefully you are equipped for that. Good luck, Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

Subject: Security System Backup Battery Newsgroup: alt.home.repair => Ken Our system battery has never been changed since installation in 1995. The

Assuming you are talking about the system back-up battery, you can easily change it yourself. You'll need a 12 Volt 4AH or 7AH lead-acid available at Radio-Shack or online. THe only difference in amp-hours is how much standby time you'll have-- go with the 7AH as the price difference is negligible.

12-Volt/7Ah Lead-Acid Alarm Battery $29.99 Brand: RadioShack Catalog #: 23-275

If you have a wireless system (wireless door/window transmitters, PIR's ect..) these batteries are also changeable by you -- but you'll have to give specifics about your system for me to tell you which batteries to purchase.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Subject: Re: Security System Backup Battery Newsgroup: alt.home.repair => Edwin Pawlowski

Nope. Not if it's the back-up battery. They are universal.

Reply to
G. Morgan

G. Morgan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@schoolofhardknocks.edu:

Wal-Mart carries these size LA batteries for kids electric cars/scooters.At about the same prices. You can get them cheaper elsewhere,though.Much cheaper,I believe.

Reply to
Jim Yanik