Sears microwave Model 665.6170911

Electricity was off today about 2 minutes. Now my microwave will not let me set clock, will turn on, fan will not work, light underneath will turn on but the light inside in micowave will burn when open the door. Any ideal?

Reply to
Wanda G

"Wanda G" wrote in message news:71d35$54d18771$cf3aab60$ snipped-for-privacy@news.flashnewsgroups.com...

Unplug it for a couple minutes and plug it back it. Might reset something. Always a good step one.

Reply to
Pico Rico

Have you read the owner's manual? That would be ideal.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I had that exact situation and unplugging cured it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I agree with all of them, but what to do you mean light inside mw is on when the door is open? Isn't that normal?

You also don't say if the mw itself is working, does it heat food?

Is it necessary to set the clock before heating food?

The fan that does not work: Is that an exhaust fan that goes over the range to blow smells and smoke out of the kitchen or through a filter, or is it the fan inside the mw that spreads the waves around?

If it's the latter, does it heat the food unevenly compare to before?

Reply to
micky

Also read the Bible. The microwave might be in Sabbath mode. God doesn't want people to use microwaves on Saturday.

Reply to
Jack Klompus

Not people in general. Only Jews. ;-)

It's a good suggestion for ovens. I know of people who got tricked by Sabbath mode. They set it in Sabbath mode and then couldnt' turn the oven on or off, one of those. But I'm 99% sure it's not been used on microwaves and there's little need for it.

One reason for the mode is that Jews like to keep food warm from before the Sabbath starts until noon on Saturday, so they can have a hot lunch. When ovens were simple, this was easy, but now they all have timers that turn the oven off after maybe 12 hours on the assumption that the user forgot to turn it off. Or worse yet, to remind the cook to take the food out, the oven chimes continuously until it's turned off,. So Sabbath mode will make an exception for this and allow the oven to stay on until it's turned off (probalby not on broil, but on a moderately warm setting)

On some ovens, Sabbath mode keeps the oven light from going on when the door is opened. Turning lights on or off is prohibited on the Sabbath. (for Jews, not everyone!) Etc.

Whirlpool/KitchenAid was the first to look for advice on what was needed, but since then I think several other companies offer just about the same thing KitchenAid does.

Once the design is done, and the chip design and templates are done, it costs nothing or almost nothing extra to have extra features.

Electric crock pots are also used to keep food warm, but they're not as versatile.

Reply to
MGinsberg

I remember now. They set in Sabbath mode on purpose and then had a power failure. When the power came back on a day later, they'd forgotten it was in Sabbath mode. It gave an error code, but no words, and at first they didn't think to look in the manual or google for the code!

Reply to
MGinsberg

wow this group did a great job of correct troubleshooting

Mark

Reply to
makolber

Microwave ovens generate microwaves, which are very short length non-ionizing radio frequency waves, with the same general wavelength as some radar systems. These radio waves are not deflected by breezes just as sunbeams are not deflected by the wind.

Even exposure of food in most consumer microwave ovens is provided by a turntable that rotates when the oven is actively producing microwaves. Some microwave ovens provide for even distribution of the microwaves by use of a rotating wave guide, but that is almost certainly not the "fan" that the OP is referring to. The fan is for ventilation (cooling) of the magnetron - which is the high voltage electrical component that produces the microwaves.

I wonder if a voltage spike associated with the OP's loss and restoration of power burned out a circuit component, with luck, only a fuse. The OP says, "...my microwave will not let me set clock, will turn on, fan will not work..." If the oven turns on but the fan doesn't work, the oven should not be used. The magnetron will burn out and possibly start a fire.

Reply to
Peter

It sounds like the clock card blew. This is by far the biggest cause of modern microwave failure. There *might* be a blown fuse inside but I wouldn't count on it. We used to get one or two a year in the shop to look at them, and it was always a bad clock. Unfortunately without the clock, most will not run. The part may be as much as a new machine. We had one fairly nice Amana that we drilled a hole in the front panel and installed a spring wound timer, bypassing the clock. It was still running when I retired. Just be sure all of the interlocks are still functioning.

Reply to
gfretwell

Mazel tov!

. .