SEARS KENMORE DRYER Will Not WORK can't finf problem MOD/# 110 76914692

I'm working on a sears kenmore 90 series model 110.76914692 The original complaint was no prower when satrt button was pushed. I checked the start button,door switch,and thermal fuse all check good. The timer control was not tested, and I need to know how to preform the proper test to test this units timer control. I am also open to all suggestions as to what else can be tested to find out the problem. The unit is getting voltage from AC sorce and the inside light goes on when door is opened and I do have continuity at the door switch. Could this be the start button and it just is not kicking in the rest of the system? The start button showed continuity when tested. Thanks To all Toolman

Reply to
toolman

If you've tested everything you say, and given that timers are the #1 fault in dryers and other mechanically-timed devices... it's the timer.

Does the timer appear to be working (ticks down)? Have you tried all positions and all cycles? Have you tried holding down the start button while turning the timer dial?

Testing a timer requires a schematic, which should be on the back of the timer body or elsewhere on the dryer. You would have to set the timer to various positions and check for continuity across the correct set of terminals.

Bet you a virtual cold one that it's the timer, though. :)

Reply to
James Gifford

our new dryer did this after only a month. the light would come on but the dryer would not work. assuming this is an electric dryer [not gas] unplug it and test both hot leads in the receptical. our problem was a loose connection in a junction box under the house. if only one hot lead is working the light will come on but you need them both to run the dryer. the warrenty people told us to check this prior to a service call. that would not be covered under the warrantee and we would have been charged for the service call. hope this helps. george

Reply to
george

Hi,

A copy from the FAQ sections... Q - My dryer is dead, what could do that ?

A - Common problems...blown house fuse, broken belt switch ( on some models )...door switch...*thermal fuse open ( venting needs attention )...broken or burnt wire...timer...motor...burnt power cord/plug...

  • If you find a blown thermal fuse, always clean, change, adjust the venting system and vent hood first, then it is sometimes a good idea to replace the operating thermostat at the same time.

Your start switch does have a built in relay.

switch can be seen from above.

It can be ohmed as per the wiring diagram that comes with the dryer. The diagrma usually shows what contact close to make the motor go and these contacts can be tested.

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

The motor could be trashed, or possible faulty connections to the motor. But true, it's probably the timer.

Reply to
candeh

Hello again I just rip the whole dryer apart and tried my best to test everything The start switch showed good same with the door switch. I then checked for continuity across both the thermal switches and both had it. I then jumped the fuses just in case and no power when start button was pushed. I tried to do the timer for the schematic ohm test and it all checked out except for the gray to white black wires they showed as always opened even in the off position (between cycles) only showed continuity in one section of the switch it should have been at least 4 position on the dial that showed continuity according to the schematic. Do you think the timer has bad contacts? I call a service guy and he said they hardly ever go bad and to check the ther/fuses. Could it possibly be the thermostat in the vent next to the ther/fuse? If so how can I test to see if the thermostat is bad Any ohms test for that it has four wires connected to it? Thanks Maybe the motor is shot I'm getting crazy over this I can always fix things and it my mother in laws dryer and she has not a lot of money these days and just trying to help her out. Thanks for all your help again Tony Toolman

Reply to
toolman

Thankx for letting us know!! :)

jeff.