Sci Fi authors

I am looking for recommendations for good sci-fi authors. Preferably authors and books within the last 20 years.

I understand that opinions are subjective.

Thanks.

Reply to
AK

John T.

Reply to
hubops

James S.A. Corey Andy Weir (The Martian, not Artemis) Craig Alanson

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Frederick Pohl. If you read the 'Eschaton' trology, which are his best works, (5 books), be sure to do them in proper order.

Reply to
Mike Duffy

Ben Aaronovitch's Rivers of London series. The series stars Peter Grant, a mixed race London Police Constable/apprentice wizard. This is an excellent series.

But if you want a lot of recommendations you should take this request to rec.arts.sf.written. There are a lot of people who are really interested in science fiction and fantasy.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

I took his "sci-fi" literally, and excluded my favorite fantasy authors (of whom Aaronvitch is one). If we're going there, I'd add:

Terry Pratchett Jim Butcher Neil Gaiman Kevin Hearne And, with some trepidation, Patrick Rothfuss (although I expect I might be dead before his finishes the damned trilogy).

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...

Sorry to self-follow-up, but the 'Eschaton' trilogy was a trilogy.

And I just noticed at:

that the 'Heechee' saga is six books, the last of which is new to me, so thanks, AK. I'm sure I will enjoy reading it!

Reply to
Mike Duffy

Kim Stanley Robinson

Reply to
Lane

Thanks to all who gave me plenty of authors. :-)

Andy

Reply to
AK

That's better than Martin who probably will be dead before he finishes his whatever.

I enjoyed Larry Correia's Monster Hunter series but wasn't as enthusiastic about the magic oriented books.

Eric Flint's 1632 and the follow-ons are good too. Flint was a cofounder of the Baen Free Library:

There are a number of short story collections for variety as well as full length works. His 1632 is there, one of Correia''s, several by Drake, and other authors. The price is right and if you like an author Baen has a lot of non-free books.

Disclaimer: Flint is as far left as they come but it seldom seeps through into his fiction.

Reply to
rbowman

I liked 1632, but not so much the follow-on stuff.

Really? Sure, he's for the workers and against the bosses, but so was my grandfather. Overall I thought 1632 displayed rather "old-fashioned" values. I suppose the one doesn't preclude the other.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
angelica...