sanding dust removal?

I can brush, vacuum and blow air to remove surface sanding dust but still some dust remains. I understand store bought tack cloths leave a residue that can interfere with a stain or finish. How can I make my own cloth to pick up sanding dust. Ive heard simply a cloth spayed with Endust is the best.

any thoughts?

Reply to
trs80

Endust would be much worse than a real tack cloth. Real tack cloths have been used for a very long time, and work quite well if used properly. What exactly are you trying to do?

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

When I redid my floors, i was using oil based poly. A cloth just moist with mineral spirits was what was called for in that instance.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Just use what ever finish will be applied to a lint free cloth squeeze it around so it isn't going to apply finish to the surface but enough is at the surface to catch the small bits left. Tack rags are varnish without the hardener added so it will take a long time to dry out.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

damp cloth.

Reply to
Steve Barker

There might be something more modern, but tack cloth is the traditional method. I certainly would not put Endust on wood about to be finished. A very light wipe with tack cloth is all that is needed, so I can't see how it would leave any residue. You aren't going to SCRUB with it, just pass it lightly over the surface. I always vacuum, but it won't be thorough if your work space is very dusty. If you have raised a lot of dust, you need to clean the work space and even brush dust from your clothing so it doesn't shed on your wood finish.

Reply to
Norminn