Samsung front load washer: suddenly noisy thumping

Hi, I have a 10year old Samsung Front Load Washer (model #wf520abw/xaa). It has been working great for years but just today starting making a very loud thumping sound on high spin that shuts down the cycle. Video (with machine running empty) here:

idea what this is, especially at 1:22 timestamp? Thanks Theodore

Reply to
milli...

Have you always used HE high efficiency laundry detergent ? When my first front loader < Frigidaire > failed with a noisy spider/bearing at ~ 7 years, more-than-one repair guy stressed that HE detergent be used. The guy in this video suggests that a clean/rinse cycle be run regularly ...

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Have always used HE detergent. You're thinking it might be a failed bearing? If that, then there's no way I'd want to take it apart down to that level. I've seen some of the videos and that amount of dismantling is brutal, along with risk of it leaking thereafter.

Reply to
milli...

When I had a Whirlpool washer, that I found on the street, so it was old enough that someone elese didn't want it, I fixed it up (not very hard**) and used it for years, but not very often. One day it wouldn't agitate. Apparently it had met some conservatives and they said agitation was communist inspired, so since one of them was pretty, the machine just stopped agitating.

So I called the Whirlpool Cool-Line and they gave me advice. (spoiler: I don't think the Cool Line exists anymore, but...) it was wonderful. I talked to 3 or 4 people over a week or more and each one knew everything off the top of his or in one case her head. They had all been repairmen/persons. It didn't take too long for them to decide it was the main agitator bearing and they told me how to take off the top and the top nut, but then it wouldn't budge. Rusted in place both inside and out, I think, and no way to use liquid wrench unless maybe I turned the whole machine upside down. Only at that point was she willing to give up.

I dont' know how this translates to a Samsung, and I certaainly don't know how it works with a combination washer/refrgerator by Frigidaire.

But the point was that they were willing to go that far, if it hadn't been so rusted.

**To get it working all I had too was take out the intake filters for hot and cold water and clean the little rocks out it, so the water could enter. And I painted the top panel with white appliance paint which I was amazed to see seemed just like the original even though mine was sprayed on at room temp and I assume the original was baked on. And I had to repir the lid switch (which I then immediat ely disabled by stuffing a paper wad in the little hole ) Clearly I didn't have to paint it to make it work.

This was about 48 years ago. I keep thinking I should run my current sears kenmore/whirlpool more often so it doesn't rush shut, but it's 45 years old and has only needed a belt so far.

Reply to
micky

I was lucky to get a free replacement drum < & spider > under the

10 year warranty through the _very good_ local appliance shop. I replaced it myself but it was not an easy DIY. I got another ~ 5 years out of the washer. If I had had to pay for the drum - I would not have bothered. The other thing you might check - there are two shock absorbers under the tub - perhaps broken or worn out ? .. and might be a reasonable DIY if the parts aren't too costly ? John T.
Reply to
hubops

The "spider" that mounts the drim is un-coated aluminum or zinc and it is attacked by soap crud build-up. Particularly bad if you use cold water. You NEED tio run a hot clean cycle with AFFRESH washing machine cleaner every couple months. You can buy the replacement parts - might take a few months to get them - but I think it's the same junk. When ours grenaded we replaced it with a Whirlpool Duet which has now outlasted the Kirean WonderMachine by a factor of 3+ (using AFFRESH every once in a while) - bough it because the spider is "powder coated"

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I bragged about this one being 45 years old, bragged about 24 hours ago, and it broke later that day!! That will teach me. Filled and emptied right in front of me, then when I left it, I came back later and it was full of water! I hear the motor turning, but it doesn't DO anything so it just be the belt, even though the belt is only a year or so old. Can't tell until I move the machine and I can't do that until I bail out the water.

Reply to
micky

Have to ask.

Are you by any chance missing a cat?

Reply to
TimR

A fitting end for some cats, but No, no missing cat.

I bailed out the water and maybe toorrow I'll move the machine and see what broke. Meanwhile, the towel and all the clothes dried on the shower curtain bar.

Reply to
micky