Rusty Tool Stand

I can concur that safety glasses are only a partial solution when using an abrasive or wire-wound tool (unless you are using chem-lab style glasses).

The solution I use is to wear my normal safety glasses underneath a full-face polycarbonate shield. After having a few close calls wearing only safety glasses, this is the only way I fly.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

I bought mine rusty 20 years ago and it still is rusty . I knocked of the worst with a wire brush and rubbed it down in motor oil. The rust soaks up the oil and creates a coating that prevents more rust. Gives it character.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

The fish oil is Rustoleum can also be a bit of a problem...

When I was heavy into the Soap Box Derby world, we'd often race our cars "in primer" while we were still fiddling with the bodies, The final fancy paint job was saved until we were sure that we were done with all bondo, fiberglass, etc. We'd often throw a quick coat of primer on before a weekend race so that our competitors couldn't tell what we'd done - no sense giving away our design secrets.

Anyway, a friend of mine grabbed a few cans of Rustoleum primer and blasted a coat over a large portion of the car. A few weeks later he took it to a auto paint shop to have it painted and the guy said he couldn't get the paint to stick. He'd spray it on and it just woudn't dry properly. He asked my friend what type of primer he had used.

When my friend told him that he had used Rustoleum primer, the guy said that it would take some major work to get any other paint to adhere because of the fish oil in the Rustoleum. My friend was in a time crunch, so he went and bought a couple of cases of Rustoleum paint and spray painted the car. He did such a fine job that people were amazed when he told them that he painted it in his garage with spray paint.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Add "wear shoes" to the list of protective. I've stood on those little filaments, and got them into the bottoms of my feet. No fun.

.

Always wear eye protection - and even face protection - when using a rotating wire brush. Those little filaments of steel sometimes come loose and fly through the air like a harpoon.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Often use stain that shows up under UV light to spot corneal abrasions. The "broken stick" was probably a cotton-tip applicator, the cotton being the business end.

An abrasion can start "healing" to the lining of the eyelid. Ouch! Rust can cause staining of the cornea, so needs prompt attention.

I took care of a guy who turned on his lathe with allen wrench in place...the lathe turned, hung up, and then let the allen wrench fly. Busted the guy's safety glasses....there was blood coming from under his lid when he got to my office, so shipped him out pronto to the ER. He had glass in his eye, small abrasion to the inside of his lid and no injury to the eye itself. Lucky as heck!

Any foreign body needs prompt attention. If it can't be rinsed out quickly, the eye should be covered until one gets to the doctor; patch keeps the eye from moving and causing further abrasion.

Reply to
Norminn

Yes. Every time I think of rooting around inside someone's eyeball, I think of Harry. Regrettably, there are few, if any, nerves inside the eye.

Reply to
HeyBub

Wise choice. Grinders (and most power tools :o)scare me, having nursed a whole lot of different kinds of injuries. Read about a guy in Florida a couple of years ago using a grinding wheel; wheel broke, fragment flew up and hit him in the neck...he bled to death. Freakish.

Reply to
Norminn

Something like that, I expect. It looked maybe 9" long, 1/4" wide - the doc broke it in half to poke at my eye with, though.

Yes, I think I remember the doctor mentioning that sometimes happening, too.

Ouch. I've heard of people doing that with drills many a time, but not with a lathe.

I was probably lucky there - it was actually almost a week before I went in. At first I thought I just had something trapped between the eye and eyelid, so I kept rinsing my eye with eyewash (and I did keep getting little bits and pieces of crap out). It was only after several days that I noticed there was something embedded in my eyeball - it was black and right over my pupil, so very difficult to see except with a strong light (and although my vision was a little blurry on that side, I was putting that down to the saline washes and irritation from the stuff that I was occasionally still getting out).

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Possibly not as bad as a rusty upturned nail sticking through a board - they don't care about shoes... :-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I had a friend who used a framing hammer on cut masonry nails, sans eye protection. After which, he had ten similar operations over the next ten days to put his eye back together. The doctor was among the best and he didn't lose the eye but it was a close one.

Reply to
krw

Which is why I don't leave nails in boards. It takes longer but either they come out or get cut flush, as the demolition moves along.

Reply to
krw

Safety glasses saved my eye a few years back.

While I was building my deck, I used a couple of 3' bar clamps to hold a railing on the posts and stepped back a few feet to see how it looked. One of these clamps, but the 36" variety:

The bar end of the clamp was sticking out into the yard, and as I walked back towards the deck, my "depth of focus" was on the railing. The tiny end of the bar clamp was essentially invisible.

About 3 feet from the deck, my head snapped back as the bar clamp hit square in the middle of the left lens, gouging the plastic. The lens deflected the bar clamp upwards to where it took a divot out of my forehead.

Based on where it hit the lens, I can only assume it would have pushed my eyeball at least a few inches into my head had I not been wearing the safety glasses.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

A picture would say a lot. Not posted here, but a link. Is it something that would hold up to sandblasting or small enough pieces to get into a bead blaster? Those things do incredible work without taking off a lot of metal or leaving marks. And much quicker than wire wheeling it. And safer, too.

Steve

Steve B

I have welded since 1974. I bet I have pulled at least 100 of those little pieces out of my face, arms, chest, everywhere. As stated, take care of your safety. If you go blind, they send you home early.

Steve

Steve B

The only thing that has kept me from losing an eye is the fact that I've been wearing eyeglasses since I was six years old. When I first had the eyeglasses put on me, I looked around and exclaimed, "Wow, that's where all that noise is coming from!" ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Cannot imagine it because I had to do it three times. Twice while wearing safety goggles, and something went past them. Once while caught in a desert dust devil, and some plant matter got stuck in there. I wonder now if with the super magnets if they can just pull out ferric debris. Old welders used one hair off a horse's mane.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

"Norminn" wrote

It is absolutely freaking amazing how much your eye moves from the time of the incident until you get to the doctor and get it out. In that time, it is cutting the inside your eyelid, and that drives you nuts.

Steve

Steve B

"Norminn" wrote

I was at my doctor's clinic, waiting my turn. In comes this very tall big man with more bleeding bandages on than I have seen any human being have. The nurse asked him what happened. "Tangled with a grinder" was all he said. In about five minutes, the nurse came out and said it would be a good while before they could see me, and maybe I should come back the next day. I did.

Hand grinders are the nastiest tool in the box, IMHO, after working with them for 38 years now.

Steve

Steve B

I bought a Craftsman, probably near you in SE Las Vegas for $15 the other day. It was even still full of sand.

Steve

Steve B

wrote

Be sure to mention it will be ca$h. They love those.

Steve

Steve B