Rusty Tool Stand

"Robert Green" wrote

If it is like most of the vintage tools I have seen, it has lots of nooks and crannies that are nearly impossible to effectively clean with even a power grinder brush. Do it once, do it right. Or don't mess with it, because you will be doing it again in the near future.

Steve

Steve B

I would guess so! ...but why would you grind your hands?

Reply to
krw

I've never seen it used to poke an eye with. Normal use is to moisten the cotton with sterile saline and then use it to lift out the f.b., usually with as little contact as possible with the eye itself. I've also seen docs use a hypodermic needle to lift out f.b.s...requires that the user have very good vision and a steady hand :o)

And you got away without a vision problem??? Lucky you!

Reply to
Norminn

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

...but why would you grind your hands?

World's fastest nail file.

Reply to
Tegger

Good God!!! It makes me cringe to read this :o) I've always wanted to try woodworking but haven't the nerve to use a power saw ... always have visions of the blade flying out or something....sticking to making quilts right now :o) I have no nerve when it comes to injuries...once got a big, fat oak sliver under my thumb nail whilst refinishing furniture. Didn't have the nerve to pull it out, and since it was diagonal it took only two or three days to fester enough to slide out the side of my thumb :o)

Reply to
Norminn

clipped

Don't want to ... I recently began growing cataracts, so somewhere down the line I'll be trying it out. Can't give general anesthetic for most eye surgery because of possibility of nausea/vomiting afterward. Also have an "excitement stage" going in and coming out of gen. anes., which might cause a hit to the eye thrashing around or too much of a raise in pressure. Normally not much to it, other that trying to move around a little bit.

Reply to
Norminn

I'm actually inclined to believe that in the long run, people who need glasses will prevail in the gene pool because it's an adaptation that confers a certain level of eye protection. I've hear things "ding" off my glasses that otherwise might have taken out an eye.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I'm the OP.

Yeah - it's not a very "even" underside - I didn't think it necessary to mention that having at it with a wire brush in a drill will be difficult. I could post a picture as you suggested, but think I have enough options now to deal with it (or to do nothing). It looks like any other small pedestal bench grinding stand.

I'm willing to throw a few bucks at it, so maybe I'll price out beadblasting at the local powdercoating establishment. I'm not about to purchase a sandblaster, even used; much as having lots of tools rubs me the right way, like most folks here, that might be a little overboard.

Art

Reply to
Arthur Shapiro

I was the "sliver removing king" in my house as the kids were growing up.

Even the most squeamish of my 4 would allow me to dig and poke and - yes - even cut, to get the slivers out.

They saw one infection caused by a sliver and knew that the brief moments of pain to remove it were worth it.

My daughter, when she was 11, even let me push a glowing hot paper clip through her nail to release the pressure from the blood after it got caught in a door.

For 2 days she suffered in pain until she finally let me do it. She screamed in fear when I first did it, but the relief was so instantaneous that she started laughing through her tears.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

clipped

I had a nifty little drill for smashed fingernails. Don't know that I would/could ever let anyone use one on me. I am a chicken about pain, more of a chicken about inflicting pain on others....I was always nervous while drilling nails that it would let go when the nail was penetrated, but it always went well.

Poor souls from polishing department used to arrive at my office, speechless, accompanied by supervisor. Skin color usually green to gray, slightly sweaty. Stainless steel going about 90 mph after it snags on the polishing belt had that effect on guys...never examined the alleged injury; just put 'em on the gurney, handed 'em an ice bag and left 'em alone for a while.

Reply to
Norminn

Sounds like you and I could team up, and write "emergency medicine for dummies". Me, also, really totally hate to do that gooey medical stuff. One of the reasons I try not to stop for traffic wrecks. I encounter a lot less blood and yukk that way.

.

I had a nifty little drill for smashed fingernails. Don't know that I would/could ever let anyone use one on me. I am a chicken about pain, more of a chicken about inflicting pain on others....I was always nervous while drilling nails that it would let go when the nail was penetrated, but it always went well.

Poor souls from polishing department used to arrive at my office, speechless, accompanied by supervisor. Skin color usually green to gray, slightly sweaty. Stainless steel going about 90 mph after it snags on the polishing belt had that effect on guys...never examined the alleged injury; just put 'em on the gurney, handed 'em an ice bag and left 'em alone for a while.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

snipped-for-privacy@unisys.com (Arthur Shapiro) wrote in news:jhm42o$skc$ snipped-for-privacy@USTR-NEWS.TR.UNISYS.COM:

try RENTING a sandblaster.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

I have the worst vision among me and my eight siblings, we're all myopic and I believe mine is because I was a drug(nicotine) baby back when people didn't know any better than to expose a fetus or infant to that horrid alkaloidal insecticide. I smoked for 9 months then I was born and because of my immersion in that amnio-toxin, I'm deathly allergic to tobacco smoke. It's like tear gas to me. o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

'cause it never sleeps. What may be a charming patina one day can be holes the next. Was just looking at my grandfather's old pickup truck with my dad the other day - we'd "restored" it together maybe 15 years ago; now he took the bed off again to replace the wood (I just made the new floor from pine the last time because of budgetary concerns, he's redoing it with red oak) and finds that three of four spring hangers are rusted through. Screw patina, for something you're going to use, nothing beats a nice coat of paint.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

A man can never have too many tools. There has been many a time when I could have used a sand blaster or bead blaster cabinet. I just got a small sandblaster the other day at a yard sale. $15. I am anxious to use it and see how it does. When you need one, there is little to substitute for it, and you get professional results.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Nate, red oak probably won't last as long as the pine did without paint or some kind of treatment. WHITE oak is what you want, it is fairly rot resistant and will last a long time treated or not. Many or most original wooden truck beds used white oak. A laminated form is still used today for dry van and cargo box flooring. The laminated product is not recommended for exposed applications like flatbeds or pickup bodies, you need solid planking for that. Most exposed applications today use hardwoods imported from South America or Asia. Be careful if you choose pressure treated lumber, some of the compounds being used today will accelerate corrosion of regular steel.

Reply to
Larry W