Rust water after changing water pump

Hi,

Our water pump quit working so we bought a new one..minus the tank (using the old one). We are in a rural area, but connected to city water using a trickle system. Part of our water system is a big plastic water tank. Near the bottom is a large black hose coming out...which leads to the water pump (jet converter pump, with tank). This is where the problem of rust is coming from I think.

When we pryed off the black hose and metal fitting off the old water pump tank...there was major rust/flakiness inside the metal fitting. Husband tried to clean it out. Since nothing was open (store) we connected that fitting back on to the new pump. Now we got water which looks clear running out of the tap...but if you put it in a cup, dog dish whatever..it has a slight rust colour to it.

Shall I just run all the taps to purge everything out? It's only been 24hrs and the colour is still there. This house has plastic plumbing, with very little copper used. Is the water safe to drink with that colour in it (stupid question;)?

Reply to
Jinxy

I had the same experience when changing a deep well pump. I didn't drink the water until it cleared up which took about three days

Reply to
RBM

Theres metal pipes in there somewhere. Likely you see the rust since it pooled due to te water stopping while you changed the pump. I wouldn't drink it, no big deal but you can get water to drink for a few days from elsewhere. I wouldnt wash white clothes. And once it cleans up, I would flush the hot water tank for the heck of it.

Reply to
CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert