Running AC On Portable Generator

That ain't true.

Backfeeding through the main panel with a suicide cord is illegal in some areas (should be in all areas), and backfeeding without disconnecting from the utility drop is also generally illegal.

But a backfeed with a proper cord or wiring, plus a break- before-make connection should be perfectly legit. And perfectly safe. Farmers have been using huge double-pole/double-throw switches for eons when they backfeed in an emergency.

Gideon

=============

Noon-Air wrote Backfeeding through the main panel without a transfer switch is dangerous as hell and in most places illegal.

Reply to
Gideon

Gide> That ain't true.

Those huge double-pole/double-throw switches you mentioned are transfer switches. By definition a "back feed" involves sending current through a circuit from a point on the circuit that is not it's normal source of supply.

-- Tom Horne

Well we aren't no thin blue heroes and yet we aren't no blackguards to. We're just working men and woman most remarkable like you.

Reply to
HorneTD

Damn, I am the victim of my own failure to distinguish vernacular vs NEC definitions. Thanks for the correction.

Now, if you can help me find a big-assed DPDT switch that isn't overpriced by a factor of 10. (Yes, I know - low production items always sell at a premium.)

Gideon

Reply to
Gideon

Wouldn't a double pole cutoff be insufficient? I assumed the neutral must also be disconnected from the power company's outside line. Isn't it going to be carrying current when the generator is running?

Reply to
Olaf

Good. Excellent idea. Turning them on one at a time will prevent the problems with start current blowing breakers.

Just make sure that they are all 10.8 minimum EER.

Reply to
Sherman

First, does your generator put out 220 volts?

Second, what's the amps draw of the AC? 10 seer AC come in different sizes, y'know.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon