Running AC and cable tv (coax) in exterior walls

*To prevent the piece from being too recessed I normally butter both wall and piece edges heavily with joint compound. A finish coat a day or two later with a wide knife makes it perfect and no taping is required thanks to the angle cuts.
Reply to
John Grabowski

They make metal clips to facilitate puttig in patch pieces. Do they work?

Reply to
mm

I just screw the wood strips to the drywall and plug.

Reply to
keith

*I don't think I have ever seen them.
Reply to
John Grabowski

I bought a set, to have on hand, in that great hardware store in Dallas, and I think also I saw them in an Ace hardware.

They're black, from flat metal, but bent with teeth, prongs, at one end, a set of four, bent in a way to go both behind and a litte before the sheetrock that's still there, and behind the patch, iirc, and then after everythign dries to snap off the rest of it by bending back and forth, iirc. I guess the part before, that you could see, either breaks off or it has to covered by compound.

Reply to
mm

Cat beams are always noticed due to the sound they make. Listen carefully and you will hear them purring. If you open a can of tuna fish, they will begin saying MEOW MEOW MEOW.....

There you have it. You learned something new today and now have an enhanced education. Pat yourself on the back, and treat yourself to a cold drink or a hot woman !!!!

Zorro

Reply to
Zorro

So you're going to rip your whole house apart to install a few wires? Sounds like a lot of work and a huge mess. Why not just staple the cable to the sheetrock and be done with it. You can paint it to match the wall color if you like.

If you really want to get fancy, get wiremold. It attaches to the wall and gives a trimmed look. Put it in corners and you will hardly notice it, and around the doors, tuck it against the door casings and paint it to match the colour of the wood casing. As far as the coax, staple it along th baseboards. If there is a basement under the floor, run the coax in the basement and just drill a 3/8" hole where you need the coax to go to a tv. Also, if there is a basement, you can likely run the AC cables from the basement too and do not need to remove any walls.

I never understood why anyone would rip apart their whole house just to hide a few wires. All the patching in the sheetrock will be uglier than the wires, unless you;re a real professional at mudding sheetrock joints.

Reply to
Zorro