Rubber Bumper for Shed

Can you build a "moat" in front of the shed and fill it with a few inches of round gravel? Make a "runaway ramp" out of it. The gravel also will help prevent injuries when they fall onto it. Slope the moat so it doesn't drop all at once when they hit it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

re; Dont the brakes work on them?

Trikes and/or Big Wheels don't have brakes, other than sheer leg strength on the pedals preventing the front wheel from turning. I wouldn't expect a 2.5 YO to have that type of strength or coordination.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

What you are looking for is called 'crash rail'. Big box is unlikely to have it, unless they sell it for use as a rub rail in garages to prevent car door nicks. Any industrial supply will have it- commonly used in hospital/hotel/computer center/retail back areas where carts are used. They mount it at chair rail height- you would, I assume, mount it at wheel height. It can be mounted on vertical standoffs so wood of door doesn't stay wet all the time.

You can probably fake it with some plastic deck boards, mounted on 2" blocks as standoffs. The center of each one would even have some springiness, if their usual impact zone is narrow. If they are all over the place, mount a couple of long ones between 2 stakes a couple feet back from the shed. By the time they have enough mass to break 5/4 trex or similar, they will be off the trikes.

Reply to
aemeijers

OK, another idea.

Line up a bunch of gallon plastic milk jugs along the shed. Add sand inside them to hold them in place, or fill them with water to make them absorb energy, and spray water all over the place. Or a little sand, and foam shipping "peanuts".

Bob

Reply to
Bob F

Ok, then restrict the kids to not using that hill. If they do, spank their butts. End of problem !

Reply to
alvinamorey

You could put a couple of brackets on the shed and hang a board across front of doors at wheel level .. easy to move for entry to shed and can be painted to match. Or the soft bumper strips they use for boats. If they can't stop before hitting the shed, what happens on the street end of the ride? I'd worry more about that.

Reply to
Norminn

Instruct them use blown up inner tubes against the door, and to put them away when finished. If they don't it's, time to punish them. A warning makes it fair.

Reply to
Phisherman

remote control transmitters like on dog collars for pet door access which open the shed door upon proximity of the trike, and a rear shed door with cul-de-sac paving back up the hill so the drivers can do laps thru the shed. :)

Reply to
buffalobill

Oh pshaw, on Mon 05 Nov 2007 09:12:24a, meant to say...

A strong paddle without a bumper would work wonders.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

Throw a couple of tires on the driveway in front of the door. Once you no longer need them, make a couple of tire swings. If you want to get fancy, you could throw a couple more tires in the driveway and make a race course for them.

I wouldn't put anyth> My kids (2.5 boys), ride their trikes down the driveway (a small, safe

Reply to
Not