Cutting bottom of heating register panel

My home has forced hot water through baseboard heating units in each room. The heating units (radiators) have a steel/metal front cover that can be lifted up/out and removed to either vacuum the fins or bleed the unit.

Looks like the previous owner's, when they had a ceramic tile floor put in, the installers tiled around the bottom of the metal cover making it impossible to lift up and remove the cover. Mainly because the tiles and backing added probably 3/8" to the floor height. I need to bleed these radiators now because we had a new heating system installed.

I need a means to cut away the bottoms of these radiator covers where they meet the top of the ceramic tile. I don't have to remove too much because the bottoms to be cut are not one continuous amount - instead they are about 2 1/2" wide "feet" on either side of the cover.

I was thinking of just using a hacksaw blade but am looking for some easier way. I don't mind buying some electric tool to do the job because I could always use the tool on other home jobs. Any thoughts on what I can use to get the job done, whether it a hand tool or an electric tool? I was looking at the MultiMaster tool but I don't think the saw blades could handle the metal thickness to cut.

Thanks, Walter

Reply to
Wally

I wonder if taking it to a metal shop might be cheaper than buying a tool. Of course, it could also be a good excuse to buy a new tool, and bury it in the "health care" part of the budget to make the Mrs happy.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I can't take it to a metal shop!!! I can't even remove the panel as the tiles prevent any upward/outward movement.

Walter

Reply to
Wally

I am thinking of a rotary cutting tool that I have seen electricians used to cut out opens in tiles.

Reply to
Moe Jones

I wonder if there's a metal cutting blade available for this:

JoeSpareBedroom

That won't cut at floor level. Unless they make metal blades for the specialty saws floor installers use to trim door frames in place, best thing I can think of (without seeing the radiator) is an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel, and using a sheet of something to protect floor as you slide it along. It'll be messy, and mess up the bottom edge of the heat shield. But local RV/Trailer place will likely have some sort of U-shaped trim that can go over the cut edge.

I'd be inclined to fine-tune reality and just pry the covers off. Unless there are actually catches buried in the tile/grout, there can't be too much holding them in there. You might mess up the grout a little, but that is easy to fake.

aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

Not sure, but the blade looks like it would only force the blade up an inch from the floor. What choice has the guy got? The room's a cob job.

Yeah...that's what I thought earlier today. Hack the thing off and start from scratch. If he cuts the cover, it's going to leave a nice sharp edge. Someone's gonna slice their toes next time they go to open a window or hang a picture.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I bought a Ryobi grinder and a metal cutting blade. Will report back soon when I actually try it.

Reply to
Walter Cohen

Would a reciprocating saw work? Get a long blade so it can flex and be flat/flush with the top of the tile. Put a piece of luan or other thin material on the tile to protect and rev 'er up.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It probably would, but when finished, there'll be a sharp edge at the bottom of the metal, and it doesn't matter how you file, sand or otherwise try and smooth it. The only way to make it correct for use around humans would be to roll the edge. That ain't gonna happen.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom