Roughly 40 to 50 gallons of 50% glyphosate (roundup) on the cheap?

Neighbors and I want to chip in to get a good price on the 50% (or 42%) glyphosate (some people call it roundup for some strange reason).

Probably need to buy 40 to 50 gallons to get a farmer's better price.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Peter Moylin

What the #@&* are you nuking with that?

I bought a gallon of the 42% for $40-50 recently, that I figure will last me the rest of my life for my 1/3 acre.

Interestingly, when I tried to order the 50%, it was "not available for shipping" to me.

Reply to
Bob F

Farmer's coops would be the place to look for large quantities. You might need some sort of applicator's license to buy from them. Check farm supply stores like Tractor Supply and Boomgaars. Look for concentrates. Also look for alternatives like Pasture Pro weed killer. It's 2-4-D plus something. You might be better off using something like that. RoundUp kills whatever it touches unless the plant is specifically bred to be Roundup resistant. Suppose you do find a 30 gallon barrel. How would you divide it fairly? This looks like it might be a snare to turn friends into enemies. And, as Bob asked. What do you intend to do with all that material?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

You should put it in your will so your heirs don't fight over what's left.

Reply to
micky

We know how to use the stuff safely so that's not the problem. We're just trying to get it in bulk to cut the cost down a lot.

If we get ten people, then we just divide the 30 gallon barrel into 3 gallon allotments, where people bring their own jug and we fill it.

The guy who goes to the trouble of ordering the barrel gets to keep the empty barrel while everyone else just has to bring their own jugs.

They can pay for what they take. So that part is the EASY part.

The hard part is sourcing the glyphosate at a decent price. And maybe for those who don't have sheds in the shade, store it.

The problem we're trying to solve is the cost is crazy lately. Prices have gone through the roof lately, if you haven't noticed.

This is rural suburbia where everyone has ten or twenty acres of tree'd land so maybe only a few acres of weedy stuff (depends on the home).

The rain this year was horrendous - but the nearest Tractor Supply is 50 miles away but even they will only sell 5 gallons to a customer at a time.

They have 53.8% glyphosate at 2-1/2 gallon sizes for $190 plus tax. But we're trying to get it cheaper - which means buying in bulk barrels.

The 2-1/2 gallon 41% glyphosate at Tractor Supply is $99.99 but I'm not sure how to do the math to see which is a better deal overall.

It will never be used full strength of course, as we're using it to kill weeds (of which we have many this year and we'll have more next year).

The chemical essentially lasts forever if stored properly so again, we're using the same amount everyone elses uses on a dozen acres.

We just want to source it cheap. Any ideas?

It may have to be shipped (which will add another expense).

Reply to
Peter Moylin

Called Roundup as that is a trade name for it. People can pronounce Roundup but not glyphosate.

I did see a rumor that it may not be around much longer because of all the lawsuits over it causing cancer. Seems that everything causes cancer especially in California.

.
Reply to
Ralph Mowery

The whole point if asking is to pool our resources to find a good price!

While the 41% glyphosate can be had for $32/gallon almost anywhere.

That's the whole point which is to get the glyphosate on the cheap.

For example, 30 gallons of 41% glyphosate is $599.99 but when I called for shipping, they said they don't have it in stock so they don't know it.

If we pool our resources, we can find a source that helps everyone get it. The goal is around $20/gal for 42% glyphosate (about $28/gal for 53.8%).

Reply to
Peter Moylin

There was just now a lawyer's commercial on TV. Supposedly baby powder caused cancer in some women and the lawyer will help get compensation.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

That has been going on for about 5 or so years.. It is so bad that many of the womens bath powders were taken off the market. My wifes favorite Chanel # 5 was taken off the market.

Bought a Ruger handgun today and in the book it mentions that in California it can cause cancer. Did not say if it was for the shooter or the shootee.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Typically the 42% comes in 2.5 gallon containers. I'm on my second one here, but one easily lasts me a decade or more. Even dividing it up among neighbors, buying one or two of those should last a long time. I use 4 oz to make two gallons. So just one gallon of concentrate makes 64 gallons. And we;re already saving a lot compared to buying ready mixed or even the concentrated versions at HD. I wonder how much more can be saved by going to 50 gallons? Might actually work the other way. Unless it's local and you can pick it up, getting 50 gallons shipped could be expensive.

Reply to
trader_4

I can tell just by first glance reading it that the 2.5 gal option is a far better deal. It has gone up though, last time I bought it many years ago, it was about $50 or $60 for that version.

Reply to
trader_4

There are 128 ounces in a gallon in the U.S. Multiplied by 2.5 equals 320 ounces in a jug. The 53.8% would have 172 ounces of active ingredient. $190/172oz. equals $1.10/oz. The 41% would have 131 ounces of active ingredient. $100/131oz. equals $0.76/oz. I'm questioning my math. Someone will be along to correct it if it's wrong.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

It's correct. I did it by just looking at 41% vs 53.8%, that's about 20% less. But the price, $100 vs $190 is almost 50% less, so it's the better deal.

Reply to
trader_4

Dean Hoffman

In-store only. Lots of stores in Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, Michigan. John T.

Reply to
hubops

What's needed, for everyone on this newsgroup who owns weeds, is to get the glyphosate at around twenty five dollars per gallon - where at least that link shows that it can be had for $23/gallon for 41% in 30-gallon barrels.

We know that this magical twenty-five-dollar benchmark is possible. The main question is where to find a bulk supplier who will ship to us.

Are there any farmers on this newsgroup who can tell us a good outfit?

Reply to
Peter Moylin

I own two acres of weeds. I'll never need that much glyphosate. I generally just use the lawn mower on them. Clearly, not everyone on this newsgroup needs bargain prices on glyphosate.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Find the nearest farmers coop. Farmers buy from them for convenience. The ones around here buy grain and sell things like weed killer. They deliver things like diesel fuel to the farms. Farmers in Nebraska have to get a license to buy pesticides in bulk. An alternative to spraying would be to get some good grass growing in your open spaces. Brome grass for example. There should be some websites to tell you which is best for your area. Look for land grant universities in your state. I don't know if the county extension service for your area would be helpful. Use you mower as Cindy does. That's what my brother and I do on our little farmstead. We do spray the odd musk thistle and such that pops up now and then.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Took me about three minutes to find this on Google:

41%, 30 gal, $550, $200 to ship it here. That's about the same price that Dean had, but it includes shipping cost.
Reply to
trader_4

Glyphosate lasts forever (if stored properly). How many years have you owned those two acres? More important for current purchases, how long do you plan on owning them?

You won't be using 2-1/2 gallons over the next ten or twenty years? Really?

Reply to
Eric the Red