Wall-Mounting First Alert Smoke Detector

The wall mounting instructions for a First Alert P1210E smoke detectors say to put the mounting slots at the 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock positions. But that requires using plastic drywall anchors for the mounting screws which I'd rather not do.

With the mounting slots at 12 and 6 o'clock, I can screw right into the wall stud. Any reason not to do it that way?

My first effort was to call their tech support line...and I've been on-hold for 33 minutes now.

I'm thinking I can get a faster answer here!

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Does the baseplate have slot-holes for the screws that are oriented in one direction ? ie up / down and would be somewhat less secure in the vertical ? Just a wild ass guess .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

The instructions call them slots so I used their term...but in fact, they're holes, so no that wouldn't ve an issue.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Can you drill new holes in the base at 12 & 6 ??

Reply to
retired1

It's been 61 minutes now!

That, or attach a horizontal piece of lath to the stud and attach the smoke alarm to the lath.

Reply to
micky

Or just use one screw. It is not exactly a high stress situation. Add a washer to spread out the support if you like.

The instructions may be more concerned with getting it positioned for proper air flow through it.

Reply to
Bob F

It is a high stress action. I have that. Skip the levels and the entire instructions. Snap the cockeyed mount onto the detector and use something, even toothpaste on the screw holes. Touch the unit exactly where you want it to transfer the marks onto the wall. Take the bracket off and drill the marks you made. Use the 2 bracket holes to be precise.

Reply to
Thomas

FYI, I eventually got through to First Alert and the CSR said no problem orienting the screw holes in the mounting plate vertically.

Next issue: The test/hush button on my model is small and located on the top edge of the unit making it impossible for a short person to reach when the unit is installed at the proper height up close to the ceiling.

So I wanted to mount the detector with the test/hush button on the bottom making it easier to reach...and they said no problem with that install option either.

Too bad they don't use a large center-located hush button like Kidde does-- not that I have any love for their shaggy smoke detectors.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

OK so install it button side down, and place a small wood dowel rod nearby for use as needed !

Reply to
retired1

Rod for what?

Reply to
Thomas

Push the "silence" button

Reply to
Ed P

I've so rarely found a need to use the "silence" button. I keep the oven, toaster, and toaster oven clean and I don't burn food.

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I thought it was a test button.

Reply to
Thomas

I test mine by overheating a skillet with oil once in a while.

The AC smoke detector that came with the house 44 years ago still works well.

Reply to
micky

There's no reason that it cannot be both.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Now you're talking liberal stuff. Next you'll be saying it can change from one to another. But I say a button should stay the button it was meant to be.

Reply to
micky

I have multiple gadgets that perform different functions for long or short pushes.

Reply to
Bob F

It is. Fry some bacon too hot and after is is tested you can push the button to silence it.

Reply to
Ed P

Turning on the range hood helps too. In this house I set it off only once when I did not use it. My ceilings are 9'4" so hard to reach the button.

Reply to
Ed P

That's why they invented the broom.

Reply to