RFD: optical.servo.coin.marker

Wouldn't this lower the value of these rare coins? I can understand the need to securely identify valuable coins. But, etching in a bar code IMHO would degrade the coins. Is there some other less invasive way of tagging these coins?

Just wondering.

Draco

Getting even isn't good enough.

Reply to
Draco

Try to shroud the coin in an argon atmosphere during the etch.

Reply to
Aubrey McIntosh, Ph.D.

Something removable isn't an option if you're interested in theft protection.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

I believe some items (such as integrated circuit packages) are marked by coating the surface with a film and then exposing the film to laser light. This method would leave the option open of removing the film.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Sounds like a tremendously BAD IDEA. You're talking about destroying the surface of the coins, albeit in a minute way. Doesn't seem like all that good an idea.

wkearney99

Actually that wasn't my comment -- Sphero's remark was in reply to somebody named "Draco" who's original comment doesn't appear on my newsreader.

True, but a coin without the plastic coating is just an untouched coin

-- a coin with a big rectangular pit in it the size of an anti-theft barcode is one that says "hello, I'm stolen merchandise".

Reply to
Tim Wescott

In Thos. J.'s own handwriting?

Reply to
Tim Wescott

there will be no market for such a product -- it would greatly lower the value of the coins. think of something else to scribe ...

--keith

Reply to
fletch

I'm with you. Mark every valuable thing.

Imagine the Declaration of Independence with a discreent UPC in the lower corner.

Reply to
HeyBub

Did you pick up on his stated dimensions, Tim?

He's talking about a barcode mark that's only about .004" high by .040" wide and barely visible. Shure enough, my tired eyes would never find it without magnification.

I don't think I'd have a problem paying market price for a rare coin with that kind of mark on it, if it gave me even a tiny bit more chance to prove it was mine and recover it if it got "grew legs" and later turned up somewhere.

But it sounds like what he described would be "removable" by someone who knew it was there.

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

How has this got onto soc.men?

D.

Reply to
Dustbin

"Spehro Pefhany" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Did you see lightscribe ? HP uses that for printing DVD's.

Frank Bemelman

Why not just use a metal punch with a serial number. Just postion right in the center or other focal area and and give it a good whack with a hammer. Presto, the coin is marked . Seriously, in this day and age, it would seem prudent to PHOTOGRAPH the coin and store the image for future reference. Why mess with the surface of the coin at all!!?? Best Regards, O.E.Pepper

Reply to
clarkent

Just a thought. The rim of the coins are often already ribbed. Is it possible to use these ribs to embed the barcode? Run a stylus or laser beam over the ribs and a barcode sequence can be read.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

wouldnt hurt to adjust your clock;)

Reply to
Shawn

What? And have the scanner beeping impotently every time you try to scan it? I should think that John Hancock would be your man.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

i need some help with new system my company is developing for purpose of marking rare coins with security code system uses precision laser to melt surface making low contrast 1 mm by 0.1 mm barcodes that is essentially invisible to observer unless coin catches light just right you can see system at

i have tested system with many types of coins including ancient coins & coins from every nation i am having problems with aluminums coins at low laser power the barcodes is undetectable by scanner but at slightly higher laser power barcodes becomes very visible to eye

i am thinking of using optical servos in attempt to search the perfect power setting is anyone here familiar with such optical servos devices?

Reply to
Genome

"Genome" wrote

EEEEEEKKK!!!

PLEASE only do that to circulated Susan B. Anthony dollars and Eunice Shriver Commemoratives.

-- John

Visit the RCCers favorite coins web page

John Carney

This post looks suspicious and may be a troll.

'Genome' is certainly the nickname used by a poster in s.e.d, but he does not use supernews and does not post from .

, (note the added s's), is used by another poster in s.e.d, but he doesn't use supernews either.

Neither of them use the newsreader used for this post.

The GMT in the time and the inclusion of the demon.local newsgroup suggests one of the Brits who troll d.l.

Reply to
Tony Williams

I use R200 and inkrepublic.com 's bulk ink system to handle my DVD printing. These are great tools for moonlight business.

Great deal from Office Depot for the r200

bulk ink system you can find out from

icemomochachaforum