Residental circuit breaker panel

One circuit breaker is labelled "G.D. DW". Two circuit breakers are labelled "CONV".

What do those abbreviations stand for?

Reply to
condo owner

Gol Darned Dishwasher, obviously.

Turn it off and see if the dishwasher still works.

I dunno about the other one. If it's two breakers linked, it's for a 240 V circuit, which usually means a clothes dryer, range, hot water heater, AC unit, something like that.

What country, what size breakers? (15 A? 40 A?)

Reply to
TimR

If you turn the breaker off, does the god damn dishwasher still work?  How about the garbage disposer?

Do you have dedicated circuits for a Convair 580 in your back yard?

Reply to
Morph

Two breakers are labelled "DRYER" Two breakers are labelled "A/C" Two breakers are labelled "RNG" Two breakers are labelled "KIT" One breaker is labelled "WASHER" One breaker is labelled "GD DW" One breaker is labelled "GARAGE" Four breakers are labelled "CONV"

What does "CONV" stand for?

Reply to
condo owner

Doh !

hubops

Garbage Disposal/Dishwasher would be good bet...

Nope, nothing specific comes to mind on that either..."convenience", maybe???

Then again, we don't know what amenities may be in the building, to try to match up; that there are two means something more generic likely unless is 240V ganged but that's not all that common any more; generally use the dualpole breaker.

Reply to
dpb

That's dead easy.

Convenience outlets. the RNG is Range, KIT is Kitchen

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I agree it could be Dishwasher and/or garbage Disposal for the first two CONV = Converter. I'm Guessing.

Reply to
Meanie

CONV= Convection oven?

Reply to
Bill

Four of 'em??? :)

This post says there are two; another more extensive listing has four.

Pretty clearly "convenience" and lazy in not identifying "who's who in the zoo".

Reply to
dpb

Maybe, but the one behind the headboard of the bed is not convenient at all. Should it read INCONV?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

FOUR breakers in a house labelec converter?? Hardly. Believe me - it's "convenience". My dad was an electrician.

Law requires all breakers to be labelled.

"Convenience" is a generic label that passes inspection although it does not identify the location or composition - outlets vs lights. Used to make Pops fume when he saw them when he was on a service call

- he has to trace the circuits to figure out where to start troubleshooting if there was a dead kight or outlet.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

FOUR breakers????

Where are the lights? or the outlets????

They are "convenience circuits"

Reply to
Clare Snyder

One CONV label is next to two circuit breaker switches The other CONV label is next to two other circuit breaker switches.

Reply to
condo owner

Convenience outlets, your general lighting load GD/DW is dish washer and garbage disposal. RNG is range.

Reply to
gfretwell

  After 30 years of ownership I still don't know which breaker goes to exactly what in our Memphis property . However , the new house we're building has everything well labeled , like "OL S/E LR" which would be outlets on the south and east walls of the living room .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

When I was younger and more ambitious I used my new circuit breaker locator to identify every receptacle by breaker number and label the yoke under the cover. It was a nice rainy day project for people before the internet.

Reply to
gfretwell

I just turned off each breaker and confirmed the outlet and lights that were out in that area, then I made diagrams of each floor and labeled appropriately.

Reply to
Meanie
[snip]

Where I used to live, most of the (single) breakers had been labeled "lights". Not very useful.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

When I want to plug something (120V) in, most of the outlets are hidden behind something. So, an outlet at switch height might be called a "convenience outlet".

Reply to
Mark Lloyd