Replacing Utraviolet Water filter lamp

Minipure MIN-9 UV Water filter.

Last year water company charged me $300 for what was like 15 minutes work. Looking online the OEM replacement kit is $119. They have a video that seems beyond easy to install. Service guy last year made me all worried about doing it myself since I might break the lamp. As long as I am careful, can't see that happening.

Advice appreciated, money is tight here.

Reply to
ArghArgh

I too was going to say not to touch the glass of the bulb with your hands. Like halogen bulbs for cars. Use a clean piece of cloth I guess.

Not at all the same thing, but when the cable guy came 35 years ago, I wanted him to put the cable box in the closet, 6 feet away from the TV. He said he wasn't sure it it would work so far away, but he did it and it did. Later, when I wanted cable in the kitchen, I split it and ran another cable down to the basement, to the front of the house, to the back of the house and to the front of the house again** and up to the kitchen, at least 140 feet, and it worked fine!

So you can't depend on what these guys say, even when they have nothing to gain.

**Temporarily. I can't remember why now, but it had something to do with snaking it through the basement ceiling.
Reply to
micky

Nah, it was a wired remote control. Did you ever have one like this: a box about as big as a big wallet with a big dial which had about 38 numbers on it.

Reply to
micky

In Las Vegas in 1984, I had a cable box with a wired remote. On the front of the box there was a large rotary dial that had about 60 positions. That's where I was when I built my first breadboard decoder so that I could watch HBO without paying for it. Shameful, I know.

That was also the cable system where I discovered that there was 120VAC riding on the incoming TV coax. I flagged down a cable guy in the neighborhood, who of course said "No way", so I invited him to stop by and I showed him the waveform on my oscilloscope. Hard to argue with that.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

I've done a few things years ago that I shouldn't have done, and I like to think that I did them only to prove I could not to cheat someone.

In college, we lived across the alley from the faculty club's tennis courts, and next to the courts was the faculty club**, with its back door. I went in the back door and down to the basement and I found the food closet you might call it. I'd never picked someone else's lock before, but I did, and I took a small can of something or other, to prove I'd done it, but I didn't show it to anyone.

This reminds me that people act like the locked door at Mar a Lago proves no one saw things. If I could pick a lock when I was 20, I'm sure other people can too quicker than I could.

During wwii, Enrico Fermi ate meals there and there were Secret Service assigned to burn the napkins if they wrote on them.

So was this a short, or he just didn't know there was 120 on the cable? Since it follows my story, I'm guessing he could have known but didn't.

Reply to
micky

It wasn't a short until I touched both conductors with my finger. That got my attention. The guy didn't know, (why should he, I guess), and he didn't really believe it was possible until I showed the o-scope display. The problem was fixed that same day, so I assume he took it seriously. I was surprised that the cable box didn't seem to care.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

Well, there should be, just not all the way in. There's supposed to be 120VAC at 60 Hz riding the coax with the signal. At the amplifiers a low pass filter uses the 120VAC for power. At the house a high pass filter is supposed to block the power frequency and allow the high frequency information signal to pass.

Reply to
TimR

OK, cool. That should have made it an easy fix.

Reply to
Jim Joyce