Replacing sink drain gasket?

Anyone know of a website showing detailed step by step instructions to guide someone with zero knowledge about this stuff on how to replace the large sink-drain gasket that butts up against the bottom of a kitchen sink? Water is leaking around the gasket which is warped and separating from the bottom of the sink.

Thanks.

Reply to
postacct

try google

with search string like this

replacing a kitchen sink drain

hint: that rubber gasket that appear to be leaking is probably not the root cause

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

"Basket Strainer"

Expect *lots* of things to go wrong on a job like this!

Often, the big nut on the strainer won't loosen. Some use a hacksaw to cut the nut; I like to drill thru the edge of the nut in one place.

Figure on a whole day for the job.

Plan "B": Dry the parts with a hair dryer; then squirt silicone sealant into the nut/gasket area. If it doesn't work, you can still take it apart for replacement.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

You can find websites with that information, but what you really need to know is that the hardest part of this job is removing the retaining ring from the drain. You can buy special wrenches to fit the large ring. But the problem is that once you apply torque to the ring, the whole drain usually starts turning.

If you want to save yourself a LOT of time and aggravation, but a whole new drain assembly (about $15) and a small container of plumber's putty. Cut the old ring off with either a hacksaw or dremel tool with a cutting wheel. Once the ring is off, you can remove the whole drain assembly. It's not the gasket that's causing your leaking problem. It's deteriorated plumber's putty around the flange of the sink.

Remove the old drain. Clean off all the old putty. Apply a generous bead of new putty. Then follow the directions packaged with the new drain. Just remember that the cardboard gasket goes on last. It's there to prevent the metal retaining ring from sticking to the rubber gasket above it.

Reply to
Rick-Meister

Step 1, place bucket under sink drain.

Step 2, search the internet for instructions.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

Oren

Yep, the problem was indeed with the putty under the flange. BUT, I only found that out when I tried to loosen the retaining ring/nut. I lightly tapped the ring on one of the protruding things on the side and was able to turn it by hand. Unfortunately, the reason it turned so easily, was that it, along with the gasket, had deteriorated and just fell apart. There's a nut further down on the straight drain pipe which is on there pretty solid which I don't think I can get off, so I'm just going to remove the nut on the other side of the trap, which I can loosen, and replace everything. If that doesn't work, then it's on to plan 'B': call someone who actually knows what the heck they're doing so I can use the sink!

By the way, I did search on google, but there really wasn't all that much on this, at least that I, with my limited knowledge, was able to comprehend.

I'll probably make another appearance here before I'm done!

Thanks for the input.

Reply to
postacct

I have the same problem...nobody gives you a detailed list of tools. Monkey wrench, slip wrench, locking pliers, slip joint pliers.....I am a 67 yr. old fix-it yourself retired lady but the instructions on each site say something different!!! I'm going to home depot with a detailed drawing and hope for the best.

Reply to
grannie good witch

Can't you sort of combine them altogether in your mind? Or post conflicting links here with questions?

Do you have a garbage disposal underneath the sink, or not? If you do, in-SINK-erator probably has instructions right on line.

Reply to
micky