Replacing Flushometer on a Pressure Toilet

The toilet I have has no tank, it just uses water pressure. The brand is Coyne & Delany Co. Apparently the flushometer went bad. When I flush and release the handle, instead of the flushing continuing to a smooth stop, pressure stops abruptly. I need to stand there and hold the handle until the bowl is clear.

I unscrewed the compartment where the flushometer/diaphragm is and saw that the old flushometer looked a bit worn. I took it to a plumbing supply store and got a replacement that looks like an exact fit. But, when I put it in and turn the pressure back on, the toilet flushes non stop. Putting the old one back in works fine.

Did I get the wrong part? Do I need to do something to pre-prepare the replacement part?

The flushometer this thing has is a round leather strip with a hole. Where the hole is a brass ring and a plastic ring. A separate piece fits in the hole and blocks the water from coming through. Moving the handle to flush tilts the middle blocker thingie and lets the water through.

Any advice on what I can try next?

Reply to
iain010100

Don & Lucille

It's been a long time since I played with a flushometer and I am not an expert, but I seem to recall that there are some adjustments that can be made.

Reply to
John Grabowski

When I get home I'll look for some things I can adjust. I recall seeing a plastic ring inside the metal bulb. Maybe that can be adjusted.

Reply to
iain010100

How 'bout checking back with the supply house. They usually know what to look for regarding fit and adjustment.

Reply to
C & E

No dice. Nothing to adjust. I have no idea why the replacement part doesn't work while the original part does. Both are identical in everything I can see, minus the wear on the old one.

Reply to
iain010100

This might help:

SteveB